Export Video ignores export file settings.

St Bosse

I am trying to reduce the file size when exporting my 1080HD video from 60fps to 30fps, bitrate from 49129 to 1209bps etc., for uploading to youtube or vimeo but after exporting, all settings are still the same as the original file.

What am I doing wrong? 

St B

A lower resolution may give you the best result.

Also try lower quality settings, instead of the default.    image.png

A 20-minute mp4 export at default setting here resulted in a 432MB file.  When the quality was lowered to 'low' the size was 113MB.

Changes were also noted when bitrate was altered from the default.  Export result was 984MB at 10000kbps, 118MB at 1000.

Update to the latest release.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Thank you for the response.

Yes I fully agree and that is exactly what I tried to do, change settings to lower. For some reason VideoPad ignores the requested settings and defaults back to original settings during the export, regardless of my changed settings.

Is there a trick somewhere or a condition on a clip that prevents changes like this that I should look out for?

Cannot replicate your results, using the latest 64-bit release.

Five exports were made, and the file sizes varied considerably, as reported above.

The best way to get a line on this is for someone here to test your project. The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

The reason that there is no change in file size is because project content qualifies for lossless export (same as original).

Click the blue link:  MP4 Encoding Settings / Custom.  Change the Lossless Export field from Auto Detect to Off/Re-encode Video.

At 2000kbps, the file size is reduced to 41.21MB.

image.png

Hi borate,

Thank you for this, your time and effort. It works now!

It would be nice though, if VideoPad could warn one via pop-up message or so that settings will have no effect due to conflicting settings or something. Would have saves us some time and effort.

Thanks again

-0-0-

One other question now, What would be considered optimum settings (compression and whatever) for publishing good quality video for closed group viewing. I think using Google Drive seems to be a good option. (Looks like YouTube and Vimeo have to many limitations). I am looking for the settings that could be the "sweet spot", best quality but not suffocating the download/streaming  effort for viewers. We are working on a +/- 90minute video (Dance recital) because we are not allowed to have a traditional onstage performance like in the past due to the Covid-19 issue.

Hope you can help,  Thanks

St B

YouTube, for one, accepts many resolutions...    

Recommended resolution & aspect ratios
  • 2160p: 3840x2160.
  • 1440p: 2560x1440.
  • 1080p: 1920x1080.
  • 720p: 1280x720.
  • 480p: 854x480.
  • 360p: 640x360.
  • 240p: 426x240.

Experiment with the lowest res that gives you the desired result...

1)  Try Videopad's direct YT upload options.

2)  Export a video file at the desired resolution and aspect ratio, then use YouTube's uploader.

3)  Or upload the file to Google Drive and get a shareable link that folks can access.