Finding & Emptying the Audio Working Folder?

Simon murray

Hi,

I have just noticed that my audio working folder in the default location at library/Applicationsupport/Wavepad is taking up a crazy amount of storage on my hard drive, (circa 180GB). I used cleanmymac x to tell me this as was running out of storage.

I am going to change this location in Wavepad properties to an external hard drive (straightforward).

the question is can i empty/delete all the .aud files and others that take up this storage in the original audio working folder?

Any files that i have previously edited in Wavepad i save in a general media folder on my mac such as .mp3, .aac etc etc.

I do not need to recall there specific wave-pad data at any point for further editing etc as i have finished working with them and they are saved and used only for listening to through iTunes/Apple music etc via the import function.

If i empty this folder and free up 180GB, what am i losing other than recalling work in progress, or am i losing more than that, i.e the ability to play any files that Wavepad has previously edited, changed, saved and then its imported into an audio programme etc?

Assuming that ok to dump, then there is how to find this folder without using a specific software tool such as cleanmymac x

When i go into Libray/Applicationsupport/ there is no Wavepad folder, however when i use a trail tool like Cleanmymac X it shows the folder and contents no problems?

Appreciate your help with the attached and Thank You

Simon.

Edited by Simon murray
Additional Info

• Simon murray changed the title to Finding & Emptying the Audio Working Folder?
  • 1 month later...

Probably the best option would be to copy the entire 180 GB folder onto an external drive -- then move the original 180 GB source folder to a different location, say, your desktop. Then try to open the project from the external drive.

If everything goes well, then it should be safe to delete the source folder saved on your computer.

If something goes bad and you can't seem to track some files and are having problems with loading the project, a couple of "undo move/copy" commands should take you back to where you started.

• 2 years later...

Re large cache...

Wavepad Version : Latest.

Ended up having the same issue, wavepad using up hundreds of gigs. After much research on wavepad tool, finally found a solution that worked for me. I wasn't able to access the Wavepad folder from Library/Application Support through folders navigation either.

Solution that worked-

Open Wavepad>Settings >Audio> an option exists by field name, "Cache File Retention" towards the bottom of the pop-up and options like within 28 days/14 days/upon exit. There is button to delete the cache files "Delete unused cache files now". Without having to clean up manually, I used this option to clean the Library/Application Support/Wavepad folder of unused files.

Hopefully it works for a few. 

Thank you-

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 7:02 AM, Sappy said:

Re large cache...

Wavepad Version : Latest.

Ended up having the same issue, wavepad using up hundreds of gigs. After much research on wavepad tool, finally found a solution that worked for me. I wasn't able to access the Wavepad folder from Library/Application Support through folders navigation either.

Solution that worked-

Open Wavepad>Settings >Audio> an option exists by field name, "Cache File Retention" towards the bottom of the pop-up and options like within 28 days/14 days/upon exit. There is button to delete the cache files "Delete unused cache files now". Without having to clean up manually, I used this option to clean the Library/Application Support/Wavepad folder of unused files.

Hopefully it works for a few. 

Thank you-

Hi @Sappy, thanks for this input! Yes, this is indeed the method to clear our cache storage that's being taken up by the application. We'd recommend though that projects be backed up first before performing these cache deletions as it could also result in unwanted data loss.

Blessings!