Music video: lots of questions

Andy Pay

Hi

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I've recorded a song and mixed and mastered it. I've recorded two videos, one of me singing along to the song (with guitar) and one playing along with the guitar solo. I want to make a composite video slotting in the original audio.

I've added the first video, stripped the audio off it, added the audio and matched them. 

I've added the second video but I can't figure out how to strip its audio and match it up to the substitute audio. Help needed there please.

If and when I've achieved that, how do I slot the short clip playing the guitar solo?

Thanks for your time

Andy

Keep in mind that video on higher tracks overrides lower tracks.  You have the main video and audio already in sync.  At their left, right-click and LOCK TRACK.

Add the second video above the first.  To sync them, the audio waveforms can be helpful.  Drag track 2 on the timeline 'til it matches up.   You should be hearing them both.

One they're in sync, right-click the 2nd video track and UNlink From Audio.  Then, right-click in the area to the left of the track to mute or delete it.

Video from the second track will be seen, except where you have split-out and deleted parts of it to allow the first track to display.

Similarly, the solo can be added on a third track.  Its video will override the other tracks.

Drop by again if you need more help.

Right, I'm doing ok here, but got stuck again.  I have the two video tracks lined up with the audio and locked. The guitar solo video is sitting above the main video. What I now want to do is have the main video playing until the solo comes along, slot the solo clip in, then return to the main video. I'm trying to follow the tutorial (below) for splitting/cutting clips but when I move the cursor to the right place and click it I don't get any scissors icon and anyhow in the tutorial everything is cut, not just the one video track:

VideoPad Video Editing Tutorial | How to Cut or Split Video - Bing video

Sorry but I really do need it spelled out! Thanks so much form your help this far, it's worked perfectly.

Use the chevron to the right of the SPLIT button to split tracks independently  image.png

Remember, higher tracks override lower.  So place the solo segment on the uppermost track.  Split out and delete any portions that you don't want seen.  The lower track will play until play reaches the solo clip, and again after that clip ends.  In this demo, the girl represents your solo track.

Odd.  It won't hurt to split all the tracks.

Share your project and someone will check it out.  The process is quick and easy and can be private.  Just follow these four steps closely...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Just examine the timeline and you will see how it was done.  Track one is displayed except when overlaid by track 2.  Add in a few fades ... and you're done.

You did the tough part when the audio was synchronized.

To make the project even cleaner, audio track 2 can be deleted, as it now has no clips.  You can also right-click the audio track split point at about 1:54 and UNsplit.

Nice tune!

The timeline is where you edit.  It can be displayed in the normal Timeline mode or in Storyboard mode, where each clip on track one is listed separately.

The horizontal slider at the bottom-right of the window expands the timeline.  There's also a horizontal scrollbar. 

VP.jpg

Check out the many tutorials, linked near the top of this forum.