VP syncing error, with loss of first 1/2 second of audio

NancySue

I recently made a 12-minute video (“Everybody”) on VideoPad, using mp4 clips from various Zoom recordings.  Everything worked splendidly, it looked great, except that it was ½ second out of sync (video lagging audio).  I submitted it as-is.  I subsequently learned how to sync, and have been experimenting with other Zoom clips.  All were originally in sync when I played them on Windows Media Player, but when I bring them into VideoPad they consistently come in ½ second out of sync.  I reloaded the exported “Everybody” into VideoPad and found that it was now out of sync by 1 full second, and the first ½ second of its audio was now chopped off.  I conclude that each time I download a clip into VideoPad, it moves the audio track ½ second to the left, which chops off the first ½ second of audio, and leaves the last ½ second of the audio track empty and black, to meet the end of the video track.  Could you please confirm that this happens, and tell me if there is any way to avoid it?  I can allow for it in the future by leaving a few seconds of silence before I begin the action, but I cannot go back and re-sync “Everybody”, because the first actor begins speaking within that ½ second, and her first word or two has been cut off.

Update to the latest release.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Please upload "Everybody" or a few clips that exhibit the issue to a free server, such as MS OneDrive or Google Drive, get a shareable (pubic) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message, via the envelope at the top-right of this forum.  We'll take a look.

If using Google, be sure that "restricted" is changed to "anyone with link can view."

Thank you, Borate!  Here is "Everybody", as I originally exported it.  Seems fine except for the 1/2 second lag of video.  At about 1 minute in, the actor comes into closeup and you can clearly see the lag.  A little bit of noise.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Insi1c7fWuLeIppepxv8WRlchmy9sDfo/view?usp=sharing

and this is that same video, re-loaded into VideoPad, without additional editing:  

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10z2iEs0XGzGvvp4B2HA7ZIsFitaogh3X/view?usp=sharing

Don't know if you can tell without a timeline to look at, but it is now lagging 1 full second, and the first word "--and" at the beginning has been cut off.  There is also a lot more noise; I was going to ask about that in a separate question.  I had minimal noise when I first downloaded the zoom clips to make "Everybody", but since then, every clip I download has a lot of noise, sometimes thunderous, as well as the lag.  I have closed and re-opened VideoPad several times, though I haven't re-booted my computer.  

I greatly appreciate any suggestions.  I've read a few of your posts, and they are always thoughtful and helpful.

Humm... definitely out.  It would be more enlightening to see the original ZOOM video, prior to loading it into Videopad.  Please upload it.

The beginning "and" is not cut off here, in either version, even after export.  No extraneous noise is evident beyond typical ZOOM low-fi.

If using version 9.04, install this version instead.

Borate, thank you; you are amazing!  This is exactly what I needed!  Can you tell me the steps you followed?  What I did was:  unlink the video-audio tracks and drag the audio where I want it.  But then I right-click on audio track, click Restore Linked Video, and the video snaps forward to meet the audio track.  Or if I right-click on video track and click Restore Linked Clip, the audio snaps back to meet the video.  I have tried holding down “ALT” or “SHIFT” while dragging; same thing.  The same thing happens if I go to “Clip Preview” and click “Relink”.  I finally figured out that if I highlight both tracks on all clips and click Menu > Sequence > Group Selected Clips, it will stay put, but I don't think that's how it should work.  Various other insanity was occurring, like the video snapping to beyond the audio track, but I expect that if I know the proper procedure I won't have that problem.

Re the noise--I am puzzled.  When I play the two "Everybody"s that I attached above, in the 2nd one the speaker definitely begins with "NOW, ..." rather than "And now ...".  And if you listen at minute 00:18, the actor says "What is that laughter and to whom does it belong?"  followed by a loud rumble in the 2nd version, which is not there in the first.  The extra noise continues throughout, for me, but that is an easy place to spot it.  

I do have version 9.04.  I am using Windows 7; will the version you recommend work on it?

I forgot:  you had inquired about the original Zoom recording.  I will attach here the one I used for the first of the video, through minute 03:25, and again from 04:21-07:52.  Other than that I used pieces of other recordings.    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Y1Byhc77E3VmQgjbpQXC2fiH9AqZtulV/view?usp=sharing

True, about your second link - no "and."   Some noise.  Can't say why.  The first link was used to make the in-sync version.

Your steps were correct.  Expanding the timeline with the slide at the right-bottom can help with precision.  No need to re-link audio.  If you find that necessary, select audio and video tracks and Group them. 

Snapping on a re-link is correct.  To avoid it on UNlinked A/V, lock the track that is not to be disturbed via a right-click in the area to the left of the track.

image.png

There is no mandate to change versions if what you have is working for you.  9.04 has its issues, but you may not encounter them.  The release linked above will work fine.

Your original ZOOM recording loads into VP 9.04 in sync - no audio offset.

So for some reason, I get a 1/2 second sync error and a tremendous lot of noise (except no noise on that first project!!), although you do not. --Also, the Audio tab -> Audio Effects->Noise Removal slider/FX icon on audio track does not make any change in the noise, whether I position it at 0 or -40. Might that be a clue of some sort as to what is wrong? I have re-booted; no difference.--I will try the new version.  I so appreciate your help and suggestions, and the time you have taken for me!  

-0-0-

Oh!  That's Version 8.97.  Is that preferable to 9.07, which NCH suggests?

-0-0-

Yay!!!  I downloaded 8.97 and have perfect sync and normal noise! And the Noise Removal slider works.  WHATEVER was wrong with 9.04, and why the noise problem only occurred belatedly, I have NO idea, but it looks good now!  (not compatible with Windows 7?)  Thank you so much for all your help!!

It just occurred to me that I made that first video, “Everybody,” during my free trial.  When I exported it, I purchased the software (9.04).  That could explain why that first video did not have a noise problem, and everything subsequent did.  Just wanted to pass that on lest it might be useful knowledge in future—

Thanks for everything!!