List of specific version features

Alan R

Playing with Videopad Free version I am now getting a warning that in a few days some of the Professional features may be disabled.  I emailed NCH and their vague reply was "you might find you cannot export to some formats as well" when asked what features might be lost other than the support for plugins and more than 2 audio tracks.

I have replied to NCH but would appreciate your thoughts as well so have included it below

-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your prompt reply, but I am puzzled by your use of the words
"might" and "some"

this sounds as though you are not sure what formats if any are supported?

Just looking at one aspect of Free vs Home vs Master - do you have accurate lists of the input and output formats supported by each?  You provide an impressive list for the Master 
version, but how is that reduced(?)  for the Home version, and how is that reduced for the Free version?  Are there any differences or are they all the same?

Do you have comparison charts showing the feature differences for the three versions?

How am I to determine the best version for me if the manufacturer is unable to provide basic information about the available option for one of their products?

I presently have four options open to me.

Continue running the free version to wait and see what fails to work.

Pay for the Home version and wait to see what is not included.

Pay for the Master version

Move on to another manufacturer.

Can you provide detail specifications for the free/home/master versions so I can see the differences and therefore make the right decision as to what suits my needs best?

Like most purchases from cameras to cars we are always able to see all the fine detail differences before making a purchase rather than buy and try, wasting money and time.

Regards....

--------------------------------------------------------------

Your wisdom and experience would be very much appreciated.

Alan.

A recent NCH statement:   "The Home Edition gives you unlimited video editing tracks but only two audio tracks. The Master's Edition gives you unlimited audio tracks. ... Most simple projects won't call for more than two audio tracks, making VideoPad great for things such as home videos."   These are both licensed.

Available features in the trial/free releases vary from time to time and AFAIK there is no FAQ that lists the differences between it and the above .

If mp4 export becomes unavailable, AVI usually is.  If not, uninstall via Control Panel | PROGRAMS AND FEATURES.  This may present a downgrade option to the non-expiring free, limited feature version.  Any release can be installed and test driven unlicensed, with most features available during the trial period.

• borate changed the title to Perennial problem - list of specific version features

I understand the Home version does not support more than 2 audio tracks, and that Home does not permit the use of plugins.

Is there any difference between Home and Master as far as input file types and output file types?

Are there any known differences between Home and Master with regard to features, functions, video effects and everything else.

I appreciate this might seem very detailed questioning, but using the free trial is how I got to know VideoPad Masters version, and be quite impressed with it, but now I'm faced with the difficulty of deciding, if the ongoing Free version becomes a useless crippled editor, which paid for version would suit my needs.

Do we have any members using the Home version?

I know I could  just pay-up and buy the Masters version, but in the light I do not need plugins or more than 2 audio tracks, would it be a waste of money?  If this were the case then I would be very disappointed with NCH using this tactic to ensure new owners were forced to buying the Masters version because they were misleading/unhelpful in providing the information to assist potential customers in making the right decision.   Especially having lent them the Masters version to play with and be enticed by.

https://www.nch.com.au/software/buyfaq.html   An excerpt from that page...

"When you open the purchase page you may see a number of different license class options. This means we have different pricing for different feature sets and the registration and activation code you receive may limit your use of the software in one way or another.

To find out which option is right for you, click on the "more info..." link under the license class. That will explain the class in more detail. If you are still in doubt please download the demo version free to better understand how the software works and decide which feature set best fits your needs."

At the bottom there's a link to more info.

It's my understanding that HOME is as fully featured as MASTERS (Pro), but for added audio tracks and plug-in handling.

Sale prices are regularly offered.

Thank you - I will read further and explore later today.  From what you say it seems I could download free trial of Home version to finally confirm all I want is there.

I think its clear that whatever free version you trial, once the trial is over, what you are left with is a downgraded version of what you trialled, downgraded in some indeterminate way, that probably makes it unusable for what you want.

Thanks again for your help.

• borate changed the title to List of specific version features