Split part of Audio from Video clip

jweir43

I have a 3 minute video clip that has an attached audio clip.  I want to keep the whole video clip and only keep the first ten seconds of the audio.  I then want to patch in a rather long audio clip after that first ten second remaining audio and snip off the newly attached audio at the end of the three  minute video part.

Please be gentle with me;  I've only been futzing with this program for three days or so.  And,  if you could, avoid stuff like "detach the audio" as that is the first step in the video telling me how to do this and even that isn't working for me.

Thanks,

Jim

To accomplish this with a typical video clip first UNlink them.  Right-click either the audio or video track and UNLINK FROM...  image.png

Next left-click the focus to the audio track and use the SPLIT icon.  Click its chevron and choose the AUDIO TRACKS option. 

image.png

That done, position the red-lined cursor on the unwanted audio area and hit the <del> key or right-click and DELETE.

Drag the new audio only clip and butt it to the initial ten-seconds.  Alternatively, position the cursor at the ten-second split point, using the ||< or <|| buttons, then right-click the clip in the bin and Place On Sequence at Cursor.

Make another split at the three-minute mark and delete the excess audio or simply left click the top of the red cursor at the desired end position and click the blue ] bracket that pops up above the timeline.  image.png

If you make a mistake, press <ctrl-Z> to backtrack step-by-step, a many steps as needed.

4 hours ago, borate said:

To accomplish this with a typical video clip first UNlink them.  Right-click either the audio or video track and UNLINK FROM...  image.png

And here we have our first problem.  I'm PRESUMING you mean to open the file into the file area and load it into the timeline area.  Right clicking either audio or video gets me 

Split selected clips

Show original clip

Replace clip file 

(and about 14 other commands, nothing having to do with unlinking.

No reason to worry about any of the rest of it when the first item doesn't work.

Any other suggestions?

Jim

Right-clicking the clip - either the audio or video track in the sequence - will reveal the UNlink choice IF they were initially linked and the RESTORE linked clips choice if they have been unlinked.

If they were never linked then audio and video tracks are already separate, so that choice won't appear and you can proceed as above..

Hi

To do precisely what you want.........

• With 3 min clip with attached audio on the timeline, right click either track and Unlink them
  • Place red cursor line at the start of the timeline and note the position reading under the Sequence preview window..It should read 0:00:00.000
  • Swipe this value (It will highlight blue) and enter 10. It will now read 0:00:10.000 and the cursor will move to 10 seconds along from the start of the timeline.
  • Left click the small chevron to the right of the scissors tab under the Sequence preview window
  • From the drop down menus select  Split Audio Track 1
  •  
  • aa.jpg
  •  
  • Right click the audio track on the right side of the split that this generates and select Delete from the menu.
  • Click your new audio file from the Audio file bin
  • Check that the Red cursor is still at the split point and then Place  on Sequence at the Cursor
  • Use the >II tab under the Sequence preview screen to step the cursor to the end ov the Video clip
  • Now click the head of the cursor line followed by scissors icon that appears
  • Right click the XS audio and select Delete from the menu. Both tracks will be the same length.....The video will be inchanged but there will be 10 seconds of the original audio at the start, followed by your new audio which will finish with the Video

Nat

3 hours ago, Nationalsolo said:

Hi

To do precisely what you want.........

• With 3 min clip with attached audio on the timeline, right click either track and Unlink them

Not if you are in Sequence Preview, which is the default opening of VP.  Only by pushing one button or the other until the UNLINK command became available did this work.

• Place red cursor line at the start of the timeline and note the position reading under the Sequence preview window..It should read 0:00:00.000

Yep

• Swipe this value (It will highlight blue) and enter 10. It will now read 0:00:10.000 and the cursor will move to 10 seconds along from the start of the timeline.

Nope.  If you swipe it, it does nothing.  If you merely click on it it turns blue.  Yes, this moves the red longtailed cursor ten seconds into the clip.

• Left click the small chevron to the right of the scissors tab under the Sequence preview window

Yep

• From the drop down menus select  Split Audio Track 1
  •  
  • aa.jpg

Which makes the entire audio track disappear.  From here on out, nothing will happen with the entire audio track gone.

I'm using version 8.  I don't know what version you all are using, but something is quite different between us.  BTW, I'm using the "free personal use" version if that makes a difference.

THanks,

Jim

If a right-click doesn't show UNlink or RESTORE LINKED CLIPS  then the clip is already unlinked or never was. But, as Nat reveals below, you can forgo that step.

1.  Click the Cursor time box.  It lights up blue.

2.  Type "10" and press <enter>.  Cursor jumps to the 10 minute mark on the timeline.

3.  Click the left-mouse focus to the area to be excised (likely unnecessary), then click the chevron to the right of the SPLIT button and choose ALL AUDIO TRACKS.

This automatically unlinks the audio/video.

5.  Right-click this newly split-out audio clip that follows the initial ten-seconds, then click DELETE ... or left-click and press the <del> key on the keyboard.

If the entire track vanishes then you have not split the audio track at the ten-second mark.

Hi

The suggested steps work fine here using VP 8.45

".....Not if you are in Sequence Preview, which is the default opening of VP.  Only by pushing one button or the other until the UNLINK command became available did this work....."

Unlinking the audio from a clip is done by right clicking a timeline track. It doesn't matter which display you have up. (For most editing I set dual display from Options. )  I have noticed that this occasionally just invokes the data popup for the track. Clicking a second time or in a different area usually brings up the correct menu

"......Nope.  If you swipe it, it does nothing.  If you merely click on it it turns blue.  Yes, this moves the red longtailed cursor ten seconds into the clip....."

Sorry if that was misleading.. You are correct. It's just a click but if you are changing just the seconds value by swiping the displayed value area, it will highlight.. But as you say it sets the timeline cursor to the desired position

".........Which makes the entire audio track disappear.  ......"

This should not happen. In fact, even if you have not unlinked the audio,  using the split scissor icon under the sequence preview window and selecting audio track 1 will automatically unlink and split the audio track.

Nat