Fade in and then fade out

valuenyc

I can't fade into a clip and then fade out of the same clip? I tried splitting the clip but then my other fades disappeared (as posted elsewhere).

Is there a way I can fade in and out of the same clip? Frustrating but also a bit baffling. Why would this be so?

Many thanks.

VideoPad 8.25

Windows 8.1

If the clip is first on the track, or comes after a track break, the  image.png can be used to fade in.  The image.pngcan be used to fade out, cross fade,.

Or open the effects dialog by clicking on the FX button or on EFFECTS in the menu bar and choose TRANSPARENCY.

Plot an animation that begins with a keyframe at zero, quickly rises to 100% with the 2nd keyframe, then does the opposite at the clip end.

For more on animation see...     http://help.nchsoftware.com/help/en/videopad/win/effects_animating.html

image.png

Thanks so much, Borate. You have been a true friend today.

But let me be sure I understand:

1) What do you call the  image.png and  image.png ?     I've noticed that my video effects dialog is not always the same and I haven't managed to figure out what I did differently to be presented with a different dialog. There are two different functions?

2) Do I understand correctly that I cannot do a fade in and fade out on a one clip using the same function?

3) If upgrading to a new VideoPad will prevent my other effects from disappearing (as you so kindly addressed elsewhere), then I think I can go back to splitting the clip in order to do the fade in on the first and a fade out on the second. I'll be trying that very soon.

4) But if that doesn't work, thanks for the animation info and the additional link -- because it took me forever to do a simple zoom and so I look upon what you describe with some trepidation. I'll get through it if I have to tho, and it will be thanks to you.

Most appreciative,

Jeanne

There are a number of ways to fade IN and OUT.

The f is used only for a fade IN and will be available only on the first clip in the track (or on a clip after a gap).

The X shown above is for transitions between clips and from a final clip for a fade or cross fade.  The transitions box that opens when the X is clicked offers many options.

An alternative is to open EFFECTS and scroll to the FADE section there...     image.png

Yes, it can take a different function to fade IN and OUT on a single clip, dependent upon what fade routine is used and the nature of the clip.

Not certain that your vanishing effects are due to the version.  But if something doesn't go right immediately press <ctrl-Z> or EDIT menu | UNDO to go back, step-by-step.

Also back up the project routinely using Save Project AS, giving it a unique name or #, so as not to overwrite earlier saves.  Save Project will overwrite.  That way, you're protected.

The only problem with CONTROL+Z is that when one is focused at the end of the clip. one won't nec. notice that effects applied considerably earlier have disappeared. It is not immediately obvious. No bell is rung.

But I do thank you for helping me understand better.

• borate changed the title to Fade in and then fade out