Matching auido volume of two clips you are going to merge

Edward  H. Sebesta

Unfortunately I can't attach a picture which would make clear the question I am answering quickly.

I have two clips. The sound levels of one is much higher than another. I want to match them. 

So I put them in the video track and the audio track shows very clearly that one is louder than the other. 

So I select the quieter one and pick audio effects and open the box and select the amplification. 

There doesn't seem to be a way to apply the amplification and see the result on the wave form representation. I have gone through the video tutorials and they show opening the effects box, but no place do they show where you then apply the audio amplication. 

People do have to match audio intensity. I don't want to iteratively open one of the clips, ampllfy and then compare and see if I guessed right. 

Surely there is a way to apply the amplification and see the result. 

A waveform representation of amplification status would be handy.  Click the chevron at the top-right of the VP interface and send a suggestion.

Don't use the AMPLIFY effect.  Instead, double-click the audio track and the preview monitor displays the waveform.  Drag the blue line up or down to adjust volume.  Then glance at the audio track ...  a blue line reflects the change. 

Keyframes, represented by dots, can be plotted to change volume selectively over the duration of the clip.  A new keyframe is set each time the line is moved. To delete a keframe, right-click it.

Also, test the NORMALIZE audio choice in the effects box.  And, under OPTIONS|MEDIA tab, there's an option to automatically normalize volume.

I found out that since I have WavePad, I can click on the audio track and open the track in WavePad and increase the sound and save it and the wave form will be enlarged visually.  I have to do it iteratively to get a match, but it will work.  I will probably use Movie Maker instead since VideoPad/WavePad doesn't offer any advantage over Movie Maker but is more complex to use.  It seems that I will have to just hack through VideoPad since the tutorials are basically not really that informative. 

I did look at your method and I did see the blue line. Doesn't tell me really how much the wave forms are amplified. I appreciate this though. 

I did purchase the silver support plan. You can't send in screen capture and you get back word fragements. So that is money wasted. 

Normalize doesn't seem to have anything to do with what I want to do.

Matching the sound levels of two clips, doing it with some visual representation so you can visually match, would be a basic need. 

These video editors have too many bells and whistles of video effects and a lack of basics.  I have been downloading and testing software. 

I think I just need to sign up with Adobe or one of the more expensive packages.