Changing Auto Levels plug-in Adjustment Speed

Russ Croucher

VP has a neat feature that will do automatic color correction/brightness of your video. It's a plug-in that you can add to your videos so you get a more natural appealing color. The problem is if your filming a darker room it will brighten it up and looks good.  As soon as you pan past the TV the auto brightness automatically gets reduced because the TV is so bright. So the auto levels are constantly adjusting the color/brightness. I'm trying to figure out a way if there's any way to change that so that the adjustment speed is much slower. I know that the plug-in has no control but is it possible to increase the speed tremendously of the video add this automatic level and then slow the video down. Thoughts? Or is there another way that I missing some on how to do this.

May not solve the problem, but at least this will give you settings to play with...

Loading a (Virtual Dub) Plugin

Once you've downloaded a plugin, select Effects -> More Video Effects -> Load / Unload VirtualDub Plugins from the main window or Load / Unload VirtualDub Plugins from the pull-down list of effects in the Video Effects dialog. Click Load File(s), browse to the .vdf plugin file, and click Open to add it to the list of plugins. Or select one or more plugins and click Unload File(s) to remove unwanted plugins from the list.

Using a Plugin Effect

Once a plugin has been loaded, it will appear in the pull-down list of effects in the Video Effects dialog. Select the plugin effect and click Add to apply it to a clip. Click Configure Plugin to change the parameters of the effect.

Of course, a clip can be split into segments, and different filter parameters applied to each.

See the link in a subsequent post.

I'm sorry I must be using the wrong terminology.  I think of plug-ins as a video effect but in reality that is one of the built-in ones in VP.  I guess plug-in really does mean virtual dub.  I'm really using the internal auto level video setting.  So in reality I guess it's not a plug-in it's a built-in feature.  Maybe that change the situation.

Yeah I have not even tried the advanced settings yet but I can't get it to do anything but I did see the auto correction like you shown there but I tried all the sliders and they don't seem to do anything I don't know if it might be a situation between VideoPad and virtual dub compatibility. If you can see some differences I will keep looking into it.

Okay, I did some investigating figured out my problem.  The computer I was using was using version 7.21 but it was the older smaller license version that was not a master addition.  721 also had a bug that the plug-ins did not work for some reason.  My other version I updated to 7.25 and it worked.  There are a few anomalies about the way it works because I used the cartoon filter as my example because it's quite obvious it's working or not.

So I decided to update both computers to the newer license 7.30 because one of my computers was more than 6 months since I originally bought the license.  So now both computers are running 7.30.  And I will say their color correction is wonderful.  We need to figure out how to put that in VP permanently.

Good progress.  Bear in mind that the beta versions are updated frequently and may not fully represent what is eventually released.

Suggestions can be made:  click the chevron in the top-right corner of the VP interface and select from the drop-down menu.