1) I am busy deciding on a video editor for home use. NCH advertises a "free download" for home use. I did download this option about a year ago only to find out that it means only, "free download" and not "free use",  because after lots of work on my first production, it refused to save or something, can't remember what it was, before I purchase a license! 

So as you can see, I am totally confused by the "free download" definition. So what is the true facts here? Is it really totally free?

2) What does "lifetime" licence mean? On another NCH product I purchased, it came down to lifetime licence but only one year support and update. (only found this out after a year). Is this correct?

Please help.

For a licensed user upgrades are free for up to six months.  Your purchase will always function but a fee will be required in order to register the latest.  Always retain the installer file, though it is automatically backed up on the PC.

This.version is free and doesn't expire.  But after a trial period it will have some limitations. 

When and if it prompts that the trial has expired, there may be an option to continue with the 'lite' version.  If not, begin an uninstall via Control Panel|PROGRAMS AND FEATURES and that that option should appear.

For the best experience, purchase Videopad and visit this forum often.  https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/support.html