mixing 16x9 and 19x6 videos

markM

So I am trying to put together a video compilation of our family trip last year.  The vids were cell phone vids some vertically shot some horizontally shot.  When I am editing them they look fine on display screen but no matter what settings I use in export they get cropped and zoomed on export not sure what to do about to give up on this program.

What version of Videopad?  Paid or 'free?'  Common export settings would be 1920x1080 mp4 letterboxed (if the choice is active).

Please let us have a look.  Upload your project per the instructions here...   http://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/23659-tips-for-getting-help-on-this-forum/

Be sure to SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS  (not project as) If it's sensitive material, you can send a personal message to me with the shared link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/opxau7id3u6lek4/AACQ5CdTm7Z4sJIZyjfzdvUfa?dl=0

After a lot of attempts did decide to do the video in 9x16 the first video clip of the boat I like how it is and will adjust the title sequence color and size later.   the second clip is just fine as wasn't altered.  The first failed clip was one that I scaled and cropped to bring the action in closer. It is just a narrow vertical band.  The next 2 clips are ones that were 16 x 9 that I cropped down to 9 x 16 and it kept the crop but shunk the size as if it were still 9 x 16

Aspect ratios were good in v7.11, just released.  1920x1080 mp4 at default settings but for a 29.97 frame rate.

As a suggestion, tweaked the title for better presentation.  Scrolling at that speed doesn't look good - at least not in this instance.

As I see it, If the project is created with a 16:9 preview but exported 9:16 it will letterbox or pillarbox scenes as needed to fit the format.  Others may disagree.

Outputted at 1920x1080, your film's first clip fills the screen while other scenes are vertical.  They look good on my 24-inch PC monitor.  Your viewing device may allow adjustment to taste.  You might also test lower-res 16:9 exports to see how they look on your target device.

At that res and aspect ratio, when viewed on a horizontally-held 7-inch tablet, vertically oriented clips filled the screen top-to-bottom, and aspect was correct throughout.  Nice presentation.  When exported at 9:16 the result was as you described - either a narrow band or pillarboxed.  Aspect ratios seemed to be okay.

If you want an export that displays larger, vertically, on a phone or tablet,  before editing you can right-click the VP preview window and Change Preview Settings to 1080x1920 (9:16).  Then crop/position/scale your edits for that display and export at the same setting.

Ok thanks seems to be able to do it now in 16 x 9 which I preferred new question Since my old project file ( entire video is about 40 min) keeps crashing the program I am starting over from the beginning.  Now instead of crop position and scale I am trying to use zoom as seems easier.  However when I use it it still frames the first shot and holds it instead of playing full clip zoomed is that all it does or is it supposed to zoom entire clip.   

If you have programmed it correctly, using pan and zoom, or set keyframes using zoom, it should zoom smoothly from start to the end point.

See Nat's instructions, below.  And here's more info on using the animation editor.  http://help.nchsoftware.com/help/en/videopad/win/effects_animating.html

This is worth looking into...   https://www.nch.com.au/kb/10265.html

Make the updates, then test your old project again - after first Clearing Unused Cache Files, under OPTIONS|DISK tab.

Hi

Using the Zoom effect.....

1) Zooming the whole clip...It useful to switch on dual displays. (Option/Show dual previews)

• Click the FX box for the clip followed by the big green + and then select the Zoom effect. The Clip preview will show the zoom area as a dotted rectangle with handles.
  • Set the AR restraint to 16:9
  • Move any of the handles to outline the desired zoom area. Move rectangle by dragging if required.
  • Close the effect window.

The clip will play with the selected area zoomed with no change from start to finish.

2) Creating a variable zoom. In this case full frame start to close zoom at the end of the clip.

• Click the FX box for the clip followed by the big green + and then select the Zoom effect. The Clip preview will show the zoom area as a dotted rectangle with handles.
  • Move the effect window red cursor line on the graph panel to the left which is the start of the clip.
  • Click the small green+ with the red vertical line (first button over the graph panel)  This sets a keyframe at the start of the clip that has no zoom (full frame).
  • Move the red cursor line to the right side of the graph panel
  • Move any of the handles to outline the desired zoom area. Move rectangle by dragging if required.
  • Click the small green+ with the red vertical line (first button over the graph panel)  This sets a  second keyframe at the end of the clip that has  the zoomed you have selected.

When the clip is played it will start full frame and zoom in smoothly to the area you outlined by the end of the clip.

3) Creating a zoom that commences after the clip starts and finished before the clip ends.

• Move the effect window red cursor line on the graph panel to the left which is the start of the clip.
  • Click the small green+ with the red vertical line (first button over the graph panel)  This sets a keyframe at the start of the clip that has no zoom (full frame).
  • Move the red cursor line to the right to the point where the zoom is to commence.
  • Click the small green+ with the red vertical line (first button over the graph panel)  This sets a  second keyframe but still with no zoom.
  • Move the red cursor line to the right to the point where the zoom is to finish.
  • Move any of the handles to outline the desired zoom in area. Move rectangle by dragging if required.
  • Click the small green+ with the red vertical line (first button over the graph panel)  This sets a  third keyframe but having the full zoom in.
  • Move the red cursor line to the far right of the graph panel (end of the clip.
  • Click the small green+ with the red vertical line (first button over the graph panel)  This sets the last keyframe but still having the  the full zoom in.

On playing the clip it should start off in full frame and at the second keyframe position it should zoom inand stop at the third keyframe position and remain zoomed in until the clip finishes. Of course this process can be reversed....starting zoomed in and then zooming out.

Nat

So every time I go to use zoom or crop and scale on 7.11 It is as if it won't render it will either stay as a black screen or give me a still shot as audio plays.  I have cleared cache updated my drivers I didn't have this problem on 7.10 of course then it wouldn't render the proper ratio  I am at a loss in what to do.

Do another shared upload of a short segment that contains the zoom that isn't working for you - programmed as you want it - and link it here.  Someone will scope it

out.  Simply split-out and delete all but the zoomed clip and several adjacent to it on either side.  Makes for a quick save, and then you can reload the full project.

I need help too! I have a similar issue, but the problem is that I want my video to be full screen. The pictures and videos I uploaded all show without being cropped, but they are limited to a small box on the screen. I need full screen view!

The titles and text clips that I added to the video are cropped into a vertical screen. Here are 2 screenshots of the movie. The first is the cropped title, and the second is the video that is not taking up the whole screen. Any suggestions on how to export to get full screen?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5lpyzig6ix31cnn/AABfBRYhZ48G_vEUUHSv_JD2a?dl=0

Change the export resolution setting, perhaps to 1920x1080.  Experiment with others.

Use the latest VP version, keeping in mind that a purchased/registered version is good for free upgrades for a six-month period.  After that there is a fee, though the purchased copy does not expire.  Retain the installer file.

Hi

Take the video clip first.......What is the AR and the resolution of the clip? In your posted image it looks like a vertical format...but is it actually a horizontal format that you have cropped? It's difficult to tell from that image.

A vertical format cannot be made Full Screen unless it is cropped or zoomed (or stretched) to a 16:9 format. This means logically losing something from the top and and/or bottom. Unless this is done it will (AFAIK) always have black bars to either side in normal players.

Nat