Rotating on a frame by frame basis (for mountain biking stabilization)

Steveusessony

Hi, 

I'm a new user, looking to move away from Windows Movie Maker. I'm working on a mountain biking video clip I recorded, and I want to straighten the segments when my bike is leaning to the side. I am planning to crop it after I'm done.

When I rotate, it affects the entire clip. How can I rotate each individual frame? TIA!

Hi

Might need to experiment first. The effects like rotation are designed to work on the whole clip. More importantly is that cropping will remove a significant part of the image area depending on the degree of rotation needed to re-orientate the full frame. Assuming you would require to maintain a full frame then Zoom instead of crop would be required.

e.g. Original slanted image...

aa.jpg

Now the image has been rotated back to horizontal....

bbb.jpg

The rotation has introduced transparent corners. (Which will appear black in the sequence preview). The size of these depends on the original rotation. This example was around 15 degrees of tilt

Crop will cut these corners off of course but will reduce the size of the frame......and probably won't be centralized as in this example.

ddd.jpg

Instead of using the Crop effect you require to use the Zoom effect.... This will keep the final result full frame....

Constrain the AR to 16:9 to achieve this.

ccc.jpg

As you can see, quite a lot of the frame is lost even with a 15 degree tilt. This example  uses a single image (frame) with VP. Setting up this using keyframes, even for significant points in a clip may not be very successful. But you can try!  :)

Nat

I did stabilize. But when a bicycle (or motorcycle) turns, it leans to the side. I want to maintain a level horizon and a stabilizer program won't do that. 

I realize this will be arduous but it will be limited sections, and the overall length of the clip will not be that long. 

I'm aware I'll have to crop or zoom. but I'm using an action cam with an ultra wide angle lens so I'm not so concerned about that. There is plenty of image space to work with. 

I will try the keyframe method. Thanks everyone. 

Hi

I have given this a try with mock up video through a window whilst tilting the camera to the left and to the right as though it was attached to my bike. (I wasn't going out on my bike to do this properly as it was persisting it down.:)

With the video on the timeline; I found it best to ..

• Play through the main clip to where the first tilt just starts and Split the video at this point.
  • Continue to where the tilt reverses (or stops) and Split again
  • Continue in this way splitting where the tilt motion (the rotation) starts and reverses for the rest of the video..
  • Click the X for the first section and select the Rotation effect.
  • Assuming the view is horizontal at this point but just starting to rotate, set a keyframe..(Click the small green + with the red line)
  • Move the cursor line along and at regular intervals (say, on the vertical graph lines) drag the red rotation marker on the preview screen around to re-horizontalize the image.
  • At each position create a keyframe
  • Continue in this way for all the sections. (NOTE: You can do this using the complete video without any splits but I found I had a problem with the FOV doing 180 degree rotation, so preferred to work in smaller sections.)
  • As the video had been split and the Zoom only worked on each section I  created a sequence of the project and loaded this back to the timeline
  • Clicked the X and selected Zoom from the effects list
  • Keeping the AR constrained to 16-9  scroll along to the frame with the largest rotation
  • Set the Zoom rectangle size to encompass the best part of the image

Your video should now remain reasonably horizontal but all cropped to the zoom size.

Nat