Quick question from new user

casajana

Hey today I used video pad for the first time and it was also the first time I've ever edited a video.

I began with a mp4 file that was 490mb, then I just did very simple stuff such as making two sequences to cut out like 3 minutes of video. The final exported video took hours and is 1.75gb.

So 2 questions

1. Is it normal to make small edits and have the size of file jump from 0.5gb to 1.75gb?

2. Could you explain why?

Any reply is welcome and thanks for reading

Hi

The time it takes to export a video depends on the format chosen and the processing capacity of the PC. Cutting out only 3 mins from what is apparently a fairly long video won't make a great differnece in the exporting time which could be long..

The size of the exported video is also dependant on the format and resolution chosen. What export settings did you use?

Nat

Hi

Various things could increase the file size. If all you did was cut out a bit of the video, then most likely VideoPad defaulted to a higher quality encoding than the original source video used.

To solve this, you can reduce quality by clicking "Encoder Options..." on the export dialog, and changing some of the values there. There are other things like resolution, framerate, and whether or not "Constant frame rate" is ticked that could also influence file size.