Keeps overwriting my work when adjusting separate clips?

Someguy

I've used VP off and on over the years so I'm not a complete novice, but I picked it up again today and it feels like whenever I edit the timing of a single clip, it overwrites everything I did before that. It should just edit the length of the *selected* clip but it overwrites other clips in the timeline, very odd functionality... Am I missing something here?

Wwhenever I edit the timing of a single clip, it overwrites everything I did before that. It should just edit the length of the *selected* clip but it overwrites other clips in the timeline, very odd functionality... Am I missing something here?

Perhaps. Under the middle of the preview window the clip length is shown. Click on that time and change it as desired. This won't affect the length of other clips.

Or drag a clip's border while holding down the <ctrl> key.

Perhaps. Under the middle of the preview window the clip length is shown. Click on that time and change it as desired. This won't affect the length of other clips.

Or drag a clip's border while holding down the <ctrl> key.

The cntrl thing worked but it's not precise. I have been adjusting the bracket bars under 'Clip Preview' but again I can confirm that it overwrites my previous clip if I move the red bracket back in time. Is this a bug?

In the mean time I've taken to putting every new clip in its own overlay, just so I don't accidentally overlap something, which of course is inefficient.