How to split clips?

alexf

I am new to video editing. I want to split some clips to insert still images in-between, and salso to delete middle sections.

I press the Split button (Shift-L) and nothing hapens. Am I doing this right?

If I want to speed up a longish sequence in the middle, keeping the beginning and end of the sequence at normal speed, to show passage of time and compress the long=-boring section, when changing speed it does it for the whole clip.

Is splitting into three parts then speeding up the middle part the answer?

Alex

Hi

Splitting a clip.

There are several ways to do this. With version 3.29...

Put the clip onto the sequence line. Play the sequence to the point where you want to split or quicker, drag the red cursor line to this point.

Click the scissors button under the right hand preview pane (sequence preview). The clip with its soundtrack will be split at this point.

If you want to simply insert an image. Drag the cursor line to the insertion point. Right click the image in the media list (under the image tab) and select "Place on sequence" In the choice window that comes up select "Place on sequence at the cursor". Your image will be inserted at the cursor. Note that the linked soundtrack will also be separated. If the menu choice for the place of insertion does not come up, click the "Options" tab on the toolbar and then "Media". Change the "Add Media clip to the following position" to "Ask Me".

If you don't want to cut and separate the main track, simply drag your image to the overlay track . It will play over the main clip which will continue to play beneath but not be seen. This means its soundtrack will play whilst the image is shown.

To speed up a section of the clip. (say the middle). Split it in two places as above, so making in effect three clips.

Select the middle clip by right clicking and select "Change Clip Speed" from the option menu. Change the value shown (default 100%) to a value greater than 100%. The centre section of your split clip will now play faster. It will also be shorter because of this and leave a gap between itself and the third bit of clip. Right click the gap and select "Close Gap in Track.

Nat