Can I move my files and project to a portable drive?

sjblunden

I'm getting pretty comfortable with VideoPad and I need to move 22 minutes worth of fragmented video and sound to a USB thumb drive so I can work on the project while I'm on a business trip with my laptop. If I move all my files from my main PC to a thumb drive, how do I get VideoPad on the laptop to recognize their new locations? Is there a setting for the default project file location somewhere that I've missed?

Thanks!

Hi

I think this might actually be more difficult than it appears, but I am happy to be shot down. <_< as there may be a quite simple solution. Just plugging in the thumb drive will only add the clips to the VP media list..it won't create the project.

However, try this. It might work... :unsure: (on the other hand it might not! :( )

Transfer all your clips to the thumb drive as well as your project .vpj file.

Open VP on the laptop and load the project file from the thumb drive. It won't load the project of course as the clips have the wrong address, but a window will come up with a list of the files that are not present...should be all of them.

Note the addresses of the files as shown by the window. They will be the locations of the clips on your non-portable computer.

For the project to load you will need to have identical addresses on the laptop.

On the laptop create a folder (or folders) of the same name and location and then transfer the files from the thumb drive to this folder(s)

The files on the laptop will now have the same address as the files shown on the vpj file. (They may not...but that is the idea.)

If you now load the .vpj file again it should, if everything is the same, find the clips, on the laptop, load your project and create a new cache.

If the clips on your main PC are in many different locations, it will be a bit more complicated. If you can first get them into one folder and then re-locate them in VP via the media list so your project works OK, you can then save a new .vpj file and try the transfer outlined above.

Best of luck.

Nat

That will work for me...where do I find the text items that I've created and the blank pictures that I overlaid to make my fade out titles? I don't find them on the source PC.

When I am in the Resolve dialog on the target I don't see any folder names.

Hi. I'm known as Sarah in certain metaverses where I record and publish. I saw this post...I have the same problem and I copied my files to a USB drive and recreated them on my second PC. The only problems were the MP3's which were in an Amazon download folder so I did what was suggested and brought them into my project from copies on the thumb drive. VOILA!!!!! the text came from out of nowhere (no idea where it is kept) and now I can move my project freely between my "real" PC and the backup or on the road lappie. Thanks! I love this product.