file size puzzle

ctoz

Hi, first-timer, old'n'slow... with the free version. I'll love it when I get the hang of it.

Never done video, but have some experience with image compression for web, and with html.

The objective is to make a short sequence which, when embedded in a webpage, will play automatically as a loop.

Starting from a video, .mp4 : using Quicktime, it's trimmed down and saved in the only format option available: .mov: it's 25 seconds duration, size 1.2MB.

To get a smooth transition from the end back to the start (very different frames), I've made a sequence in Videopad by repeating the clip with a 3-second crossfade: it's now 47 seconds duration.

Next, I trimmed this down so that the loop ends and starts on sequential frames in the action: back to 25 seconds duration.

In the Export Video options to save it, the option presented is 768x576: check, yes, same aspect ratio as original, so I use that. Result is a .mov file, 25 seconds duration, size 5MB.

I don't get it. I've been working in the same format all the way through, but the finished file is four times the size of what I started with. Can anyone explain?

Hi

Your original clip may have had the same aspect ratio as the out video, but was it the same size in pixels?

If you inputted at 640 x 480 pixels (AR 1.33) and then outputted the same length of clip at 768 x 576 (AR also 1.33)

then the file will be larger. (and be about 4x the size as each frame is 4X the area)

Try saving your output video to a smaller pixel size. In the Video Output Setup window, click the down arrow to the right of the resolution box and select a smaller format.

Nat