Select Clip Using Keyboard after a clip delete

safehaven

Hi, hope someone can help.

I've recently moved on to the latest version of VP after over a year of using a much older version. The old version didn't have adjustable preview panes (to give you an idea of how old my previous version was). It's taken me a while to get used to the new way of working etc but one thing I can't seem to find is a quick way to select a clip in a sequence without having to use the mouse. In the old version there was always one clip selected (dark blue), so it was easy to jump between clips using the arrow keys. Now when I delete a clip, focus is lost from the sequence and I have to reach for the mouse to click on a clip - this slows me down considerably as I do a lot of cutting.

Things I've tried...

The answer is not the "[" or "]" keys - as this only moves the play slider position to the beginning or end of a clip, but does not alter the selection state of any clip.

Ctrl A - selects the entire sequence and then I can use left arrow to start navigating through the clip from the end to the desired clip, but that's not workable with as many clip splits as I normally have.

Hope my question makes sense.

Things I really like since upgrading -

The sizeable window panes - great!

Previous and Next frame preview - love it ... However, I seem to have lost frame splitting accuracy with HD footage - with frame creep from areas of the clip outwith my cut. I never used to have that problem with the older version of Video Pad.

Help!!!!!

Hi

[ and ] will step through the clips from the current cursor position as you already know but as you say, does not select the clip. However, use of the mouse is pretty well obligitary with this type of software.

If a section is deleted the focus is lost as the next logical step is to close the gap formed by the deletion. Closing a gap removes the focus which is logical.

It might be useful if VP retained the focus of the remaining section of the cut clip despite the formation of a gap which, I think, is what you want. You could put this in as a suggestion to NCH.

With the latest version of VP (3.29); in order to find a clip on the sequence, right click the thumbnail in the Media List (or the name when in list format) and select "Jump to clip in sequence" followed by the sequence position and the cursor will jump to the start of the clip selected. (or the start of a splt clip) This is about the nearest you will get I think. You will still have to use the mouse though.

Nat

Hi Nat, yeah, I just thought I'd ask the forum in case anyone knew of a keyboard shortcut to place focus back onto a section of the clip after a deletion. In the old version of Videopad that I used until a few days ago, selection focus was retained on the part of the clip to the left of the deleted section (In AVS's Video Remaker, the focus is retained on the clip to the right hand of the deleted section). I've been looking at ways to speed up my workflow and it's just such a shame that a time-saving feature has disappeared. I'll make the suggestion to NCH unless anyone else can offer an alternative keyboard solution?

Hi

Yes..That does work OK!

But on my PC...if I delete the centre clip of three, the > (Right) arrow key goes LEFT and the < (Left) key goes RIGHT :D

Still....it works but Safehaven will still have to use the mouse to go into storyboard mode.

I can't find a keyboard way to change this mode in the help files.

C:\Program Files\NCH Software\VideoPad\Help\keyboardshortcuts.html

Nat

Thanks guys, very helpful - much appreaciated. I've changed my workflow a bit so the clip I want to delete is always second from the end of the sequence...that way "CTRL A" selects the entire sequence, followed by "left arrow", which positions me on the clip I want to delete. I'm getting quite fast at this so I'll be okay. I will also have another look at the trim feature to see if that can speed up my workflow.