Speed change doesn't work & admin won't help :'(

StarKatz

I was very impressed initially with the original version I downloaded and happily paid the money asked, however in no time I had it crash on me during 'Save' and then was told to upgrade and I'd only initially used it less than 5 times, naturally with most programs there is no outlay for bug fixed programs yet I was asked to pay more, realistically if there are bugs in the program why should the consumer be required to pay more for your mistakes? I don't like the new version funnily enough on Facebook it says the new version is 3.20 however when you go on the site to download the new 3.20 you get 3.14... whats with that?? Now the speed setting creates a black window and only loads a portion of the video that is slowed down, along with the cutting tool you can clearly see there is a black frame that jumps on the screen which looks awful. I am so angry that after numerous requests by email and on FB have appeared to had fallen on deaf ears. I wonder also who has the Master Edition like I have but the program displays Professional edition on it's title? I have a business to run and went searching for a reliable video program I thought I had just that, but I am wasting mine and the clients time trying to edit only for it to turn out mostly with a black screen on the speed changed settings it certainly appears to have loaded the footage however press play and you get black black black...

HI

I am assuming from what you have written that you are changing the clip speed prior to adding it to the timeline. (It is possible to do this by right clicking the clip in the media list and selecting "Change clip speed".) In version 3.12 I find if you do this, the "Property" duration of the clip itself remains as it was, but if you drag it to the timeline and examine the duration in Storyboard mode you will see that it has changed. However I find that the frame of the clip now shows a black rectangle instead of the usual thumbnail. This must be a BUG!

e.g...

I placed a clip on the media list with a "Property" duration of 6 seconds. i.e. Right click and select "Properties"

I first dropped this onto the timeline in Storyboard mode to check all was well......it was. The time shown was 6 seconds and the clip played normally.

I then deleted this from the timeline leaving it empty.....(Back to square one)

Now I left clicked the clip in the media list and selected to "Change the clip Speed" and changed this to 200 so nominally the clip would now play for 3 seconds.

The "Properties" correctly showed it to still be 6 seconds duration.

I then dragged the clip to the timeline and found that the duration there showed 3 seconds which is what I expected but there was no thumbnail and the frame was black. :(

Switching back to timeline mode at this point, both preview panes correctly showed the clip and sequence to be 3 seconds and also showed the preview image. However the thumbnail line on the timeline track line showed NO thumbnails, just the "Landscape icon". This must be another BUG! :(

I then played the sequence and found that the clip preview then went black.

In fact I deleted everything and started from scratch again with the same 6 second MPEG4 clip. This time I dragged and dropped the clip straight to the timeline intending to change the clip speed from there.Unfortunately although the clip previewd OK in both windows there were, once again, NO clip thumbnails on the timeline. :angry:

I then right clicked the timeline and changed the clip speed to 200% as before. The time bar changed to 3 seconds as expected but there was no green progress bar and the preview was extremely choppy, probably because it was still rendering the speed change. Even after some minutes there were STILL no timeline thumbnails.

Switching to storyboard mode revealed that the clip was now 3 seconds long but still with a Black Frame!

Slowing down the clip to 50% speed seemed to work slightly better in that, at least there was a thumbnail to be seen in the storyboard frame. But there still no thumbnails to be seen on the timeline track. Playback was still VERY choppy.

This MAY be because I was using an HD MPEG4 clip on an older computer, but all I can say is that I have no problems doing this particular manipulation with version 2.41.

So IMHO there are a lot of bugs still to iron out in the 3.xx versions. Some them have been mentioned before in the forum, like the black frame that appears when clips are cut and joined and the inability to show some images in the rendered output. It is also too slow to make any editing interesting and some areas simply don't work correctly.

I personally find that VP 2.41 is the most satisfactory version to work with.

Nat

I had reverted to the original version as I had been given after my post very helpful assistance by support. I'm very grateful for their assistance in this matter as this now works for how long I don't know but I really need this function badly