Beware clip names and project order

Nationalsolo

Hi

Just noticed a small thing to be aware of related to the names of clips in folders and the re-opening of the related project and which is probably valid for all VP versions.

I am in the process of editing a 45 min documentary using VP 2.41 with three lots of clips made on three consequitive days, the camera being unloaded after each shoot.

Each batch of clips numbered TOSH001, TOSH002....TOSH003...etc was saved to a new folder

So I had folders DAY 1, DAY 2 and DAY 3, each with numerous but identically named clips in each folder.

I edited all the clips from DAY 1 and then followed up by adding the clips from DAY 2 and finally DAY 3.

The clips appeared OK in the media list in the order loaded and edited OK and previewed OK (although not all the clips were used). There were also quite a few sound clips copied to the different audio tracks. The project was saved regularly along with a spare.

On reloading the project I suddenly noticed that the added on audio clips no longer lined up with their intended target areas and wondered why. It then became evident that some DAY 2 clips had been placed on the timeline amongst the DAY 1 clips. Interestingly these did not play in the timeline preview, they just pushed the correct timeline clips along so displacing the added-in sound track below.

I didn't expect this to happen as the project file (.vpj file) lists the source folder as well as the clip name.

What was happening it seemed, was that the alogorithm for re-opening the project seemed to make no distinction between, for example, clip TOSH002 in folder DAY 1 and clip TOSH002 in folder DAY 2 so putting them onto the sequence line out of order. (I checked the names of all out of order clips and found they matched the names of the clips that had been pushed out of place but belonged to the one of the other two DAY folders.

The other saved spare vpj file did the same thing but the result was, oddly, different.

The fact that clips with the same name in different folders were of different lengths also played havoc with the rebuilding of the time line when the project was reloaded.

The remedy for this is to ensure all the clips used have different names and/or different numbers and not just to rely on them being distinguished by being stored in different folders.

In this case I renumberd ALL the clips using Irfanview.....Clip001 ... Clip002 ..Clip003 etc (250 clips in all) but retained them split between the three original folders since these were related to different events that were filmed ........................and then started editing all over again. :angry:

Nat

• 3 months later...

I am not understanding a whole lot of this.How does 3SK.TV does it? How do they go to SHOW TV site copy all the episodes of Karadayi.Firuze ETC and within a day they have it all done translated with subtitles? I wrote them asking them but they never replied back , They maybe afraid that i will take there business away from them, Where i need it for my own use on episodes that they stopped Translating with subtitles so i can go get them from FOX Turkey or Show TV or other sites even Turk TV .

Nat do you understand what i am looking for or trying to do.I found Google translate and trying to figure it out in how it works,But i am all new to it but promise that i will find it and develop a way to have subtitles from Turkish to Arabic done. here is one article i am watching http://www.mattcutts...title-captions/and the other is at Google google_logo_41.png

Website Translator - Add Website

Website InfoPlugin SettingsAdd Plugin

Well played. Let's do this!

Website URL

What is the URL of your website?

(e.g., www.example.com)

Website language

What is the original language of your website?Really appreciate all your help and effort you putting in.

Have a great day

Sam