Video frames jump and shake

SabineT

This is my very first attempt to put video, audio, and text together - I realise now how much I have to learn!!! I'm sure I've made a lot of stupid mistakes, but I'm quite happy with my so-so result: http://youtu.be/qvGEq8qGpjg

However, I'd like to know why not only the video itself is shaky (bad case of home movie recorded with digi camera), but also the video frame itself is jumping up and down. I'm intrigued since it's a "dance movie" so the shaking suits the purpose. But if I wanted to do another little clip I'd like it to be smooth.

Can anyone help? What have I done wrong? I used the free VideoPad version 3.02.

Hi

This seems to ba a problem of the original clip and not anything VP has introduced as your subtitles etc. remain steady whilsts the borders of the clip behind judder. There is certainly a lot of camera shake but this should give jumping borders.

Were the juddery borders present when you previewed your clip on VP at the start?

I would suggest that you reload your original clip and run the VP stabilizer option on your clip.

i.e. Right click on the clip in the Media list window and select "Stabilize video(s)"

If the filming was unsteady then the stabilizer plugin will improve things greatly as regards the image but probably not for the borders. Load the stabilised clip to the sequence and check it now looks steadier even though the borders will probably still jump.

Follow this by using the Crop efect, cropping the edges of the clip progressively until the juddering stops.I think you will find the sides OK but the top and bottom will need to be taken out a bit.

If you want to keep the same aspect ratio you will lose some of the sides. If you slect 16:9 and centre the orange frame you will only need to reduce the top and bottom a bit to eliminate the judder.

Now replace your Title and subtitles.

Nat