Scrolling titles

jacpetanque

I'm using version 2.41 of the VideoPad Editor. When I make scroll titles in the overlay track (from the right to the left), all goes well in preview. But after exporting the video (in avi-format), the end of the scrolled text ends prematurely in the middle of the screen instead of going out well at the left side of the screen. How comes?

Hi

You may have made the overlay longer than the clip on the main track. If this is at the end of a sequence then the overlay stops before it has completely played, leaving the text still on the screen. However, as you say your preview played OK then this may not be the answer. It is normally better to keep the overlay containing text shorter in length than the clip against which is being played. Scrolling text however should be kept down to a speed that can be easily read and the only way to slow it down is to increase the length of the overlay. This means using a longer clip on the main sequence line to match it. (You can add more clipss of course.)

Another possibility is that if the text of your overlay has too many characters on a single line then it will not clear the screen before the overlay finishes whatever the length of the overlay. (About 26 characters are the maximun to just clear the screen)

There may also be a rendering problem as in some cases I have encounterd a difference in position of text/subtitles in the saved (to PC) film and the VP prevued film. It seemed to be linked to the output avi frame size selected. The overlay image (the text) coming out differently sized against the film track itself. I wouldn't have thought that would have affected the end of the scroll position but it might. You will have to suck that one a see.

If you are happy with the VP preview then try outputting to the PC with different settings.

Nat

Hi Nat, thanks for your quick answer.

In my case, the overlay title was shorter than the clip, but indeed the number of characters was more than 26. Maybe, this could be the cause of the problem. I just resolved the problem by making 2 or 3 separate fixed overlay titles instead of 1 scrolling title. If you're interested, I could send you a short example of the sequence that didn't work (screen not cleared).

Cheers, Jac

Hi

You may have made the overlay longer than the clip on the main track. If this is at the end of a sequence then the overlay stops before it has completely played, leaving the text still on the screen. However, as you say your preview played OK then this may not be the answer. It is normally better to keep the overlay containing text shorter in length than the clip against which is being played. Scrolling text however should be kept down to a speed that can be easily read and the only way to slow it down is to increase the length of the overlay. This means using a longer clip on the main sequence line to match it. (You can add more clipss of course.)

Another possibility is that if the text of your overlay has too many characters on a single line then it will not clear the screen before the overlay finishes whatever the length of the overlay. (About 26 characters are the maximun to just clear the screen)

There may also be a rendering problem as in some cases I have encounterd a difference in position of text/subtitles in the saved (to PC) film and the VP prevued film. It seemed to be linked to the output avi frame size selected. The overlay image (the text) coming out differently sized against the film track itself. I wouldn't have thought that would have affected the end of the scroll position but it might. You will have to suck that one a see.

If you are happy with the VP preview then try outputting to the PC with different settings.

Nat