VideoPad DVD Movies Incompatible

imjohn

I just completed my first project in VideoPad and elected to Save Movie. I've gone through this several times, but the completed DVDs come up as incompatible on my players.

Does anyone have an answer for this.

In the output setup:

I Select Make a DVD Movie

NTSC format

And I've tried both Wide Screen and Normal Formats.

In the Advanced Bitrate Settings, I've tried both Calculate Automatically and Manual (accepting the suggested values.)

There are 4 segments in the project and I've inserted bookmarks between each and selected "Use bookmarks as chapters."

Hi

No idea what the problem might be unless it is your DVD player. You don't seem to be doing anything incorrect. I have made films for both PAL and NTSC systems that work fine. I use VP. Version 2.41 and don't do anything different to what you have outlined.

i.e. Edit your clips/images to create your movie on the sequence line. These are normally either

MPEG2 or MPEG4 video clips with (when I use them) JPEG or BMP stills.

Click the "Save Movie" tab

Click "Disc"

Select PAL or NTSC depending if you are in Europe or US. (Check this is correct)

Select Normal or Widescreen.

Under advanced settings select "Calculate bit rate automatically"

Click OK.

Click OK.

If you have no bookmarks there will now be a window asking you want to continue..otherwise go back and add bookmarks.

Insert a DVD disc and it should then burn, verify etc.

I can anly add..Does the DVD play on your PC OK?

Have you tried other DVD players.

Nat

Hi

No idea what the problem might be unless it is your DVD player. You don't seem to be doing anything incorrect. I have made films for both PAL and NTSC systems that work fine. I use VP. Version 2.41 and don't do anything different to what you have outlined.

i.e. Edit your clips/images to create your movie on the sequence line. These are normally either

MPEG2 or MPEG4 video clips with (when I use them) JPEG or BMP stills.

Click the "Save Movie" tab

Click "Disc"

Select PAL or NTSC depending if you are in Europe or US. (Check this is correct)

Select Normal or Widescreen.

Under advanced settings select "Calculate bit rate automatically"

Click OK.

Click OK.

If you have no bookmarks there will now be a window asking you want to continue..otherwise go back and add bookmarks.

Insert a DVD disc and it should then burn, verify etc.

I can anly add..Does the DVD play on your PC OK?

Have you tried other DVD players.

Nat

Thanks for the reply Nat,

What you described is exactly what I did plus adding bookmarks and clicking on create chapters from bookmarks.

My DVD player works with other disc without a problem and I also tried the recording on another player with the same results.

The disc will playback on the PC, but without the chapters (don't know if that's normal.)

So far I've burned and trashed 8 disc. (I can edit and burn the original file using Windows Live and DVD Maker, but can't create chapters. Those burns playback ok.)

If I could save the VideoPad file WITH the chapters intact, I could use another DVD burner to create the disc. I don't understand why that's not possible. Also, I don't know why NCH doesn't include a Save ISO option.

I really need to get this worked out as I've got 50+ VHS tapes I need to convert and burn, but each needs to be broken into chapters.

By the way, I just upgraded VideoPad to the newest version (2.41) with the same results.

John

Hi

"One thing I've noticed is that the recorded disc is recorded from the center of the disc out towards the edge and the outside area is blank."

As far as I am aware this is normal. DVDs and CDs are read from the centre outwards and are consequently burnt like that. All mine are like this..and they do play. :mellow:

"The disc will playback on the PC, but without the chapters (don't know if that's normal.)"

Again, depending on what type of DVD player your PC is using you may not be able to access the chapters from a menu. However I think you can skip from chapter to chapter using > or < button if your player has one. Unfortunately the DVD creating part of VP won't create menus which would be very useful.

With regards to wasting DVD discs, you may be better off burning to re-writable DVDs (DVD-RW) as if there is a problem VP will erase the disc before re-burning with any new settings you make.

If you have another DVD burner which you know works, then you could save your film to your PC.

Click "Save Movie"

Click "Computer/Data"

Browse to a folder to recieve your film (Easy to use is the desktop)

Click the drop down menu for "Preset" and select HD 720 (or the format of your choice)

This, (for my movies/slideshows) shows avi as the container.

Set your frame size (Resolution) or accept the default. Mine would be 1280 x 720 HD.

Now click the "Encoder Options" button followed by the "Video compression settings" bar.

Slide the tab on the slider to the left so the reading is 1.0. (or enter 1.0 into the box marked Quality.

OK

OK

Your film will be created on the desktop (or your folder) from where you can play it on the PC to check the quality or save it to disc with a different burner or program. Originally I used Microsoft DVD creator as this would create menus. However I found the quality was not always particularly good as from what I have managed to find out the program converts to WMV first and then to VOB. Whatever the case some areas do have compression artifacts.

I seem to get better DVD quality if I burn the avi to disc using a free program called Sothink Movie DVD Maker.This is free, seems to work OK (apart from an advertising banner that appears between items which some find a bit intrusive..unless you buy the product) and will present your different films from a preview menu of contents.

Nat

Hi

"One thing I've noticed is that the recorded disc is recorded from the center of the disc out towards the edge and the outside area is blank."

As far as I am aware this is normal. DVDs and CDs are read from the centre outwards and are consequently burnt like that. All mine are like this..and they do play. :mellow:

"The disc will playback on the PC, but without the chapters (don't know if that's normal.)"

Again, depending on what type of DVD player your PC is using you may not be able to access the chapters from a menu. However I think you can skip from chapter to chapter using > or < button if your player has one. Unfortunately the DVD creating part of VP won't create menus which would be very useful.

With regards to wasting DVD discs, you may be better off burning to re-writable DVDs (DVD-RW) as if there is a problem VP will erase the disc before re-burning with any new settings you make.

If you have another DVD burner which you know works, then you could save your film to your PC.

Click "Save Movie"

Click "Computer/Data"

Browse to a folder to recieve your film (Easy to use is the desktop)

Click the drop down menu for "Preset" and select HD 720 (or the format of your choice)

This, (for my movies/slideshows) shows avi as the container.

Set your frame size (Resolution) or accept the default. Mine would be 1280 x 720 HD.

Now click the "Encoder Options" button followed by the "Video compression settings" bar.

Slide the tab on the slider to the left so the reading is 1.0. (or enter 1.0 into the box marked Quality.

OK

OK

Your film will be created on the desktop (or your folder) from where you can play it on the PC to check the quality or save it to disc with a different burner or program. Originally I used Microsoft DVD creator as this would create menus. However I found the quality was not always particularly good as from what I have managed to find out the program converts to WMV first and then to VOB. Whatever the case some areas do have compression artifacts.

I seem to get better DVD quality if I burn the avi to disc using a free program called Sothink Movie DVD Maker.This is free, seems to work OK (apart from an advertising banner that appears between items which some find a bit intrusive..unless you buy the product) and will present your different films from a preview menu of contents.

Nat

Thanks again Nat,

Sorry, I was wrong about the reverse burn. You're right they burn from the center out.

I'll try saving the video to desktop and try with another burner. Hope that works.

Thanks for the advice.

John

I have the exact same issue! If you get it solved, can you let me know at bobbie0525@aol.com? I need to make this movie into a DVD for a presentation on 6 Oct and I'm running out of time. I have done exactly what you did and wasted twice as many DVDs. I have got to get it on a DVD that will play on any DVD player and it won't play on any of the 3 players I've tried. HELP!!!

Bobbie

I just completed my first project in VideoPad and elected to Save Movie. I've gone through this several times, but the completed DVDs come up as incompatible on my players.

Does anyone have an answer for this.

In the output setup:

I Select Make a DVD Movie

NTSC format

And I've tried both Wide Screen and Normal Formats.

In the Advanced Bitrate Settings, I've tried both Calculate Automatically and Manual (accepting the suggested values.)

There are 4 segments in the project and I've inserted bookmarks between each and selected "Use bookmarks as chapters."

I have the exact same issue! If you get it solved, can you let me know at bobbie0525@aol.com? I need to make this movie into a DVD for a presentation on 6 Oct and I'm running out of time. I have done exactly what you did and wasted twice as many DVDs. I have got to get it on a DVD that will play on any DVD player and it won't play on any of the 3 players I've tried. HELP!!!

Bobbie

Hi Bobbie,

Good Luck. I still haven't been able to get this solved. I hate to wish bad luck on you, but it's good to hear that someone else is having this problem. At least now I know I'm not crazy. It's such a slow process, by the time you go through rendering and recording, you've forgotten what you tried.

John

Hi Imjohn

"If I could save the VideoPad file WITH the chapters intact, I could use another DVD burner to create the disc. I don't understand why that's not possible. Also, I don't know why NCH doesn't include a Save ISO option."

VP v2.41 does enable you to save your project as an ISO file.

Click "Save Movie"

Click "Disc"

Select "Make Data Disc"

Browse to the output folder and give your project a name.

Enter Disc name

Under Burner click the down button and select "Image file"

Now select your desired presets and parameters and click OK..(I set HD720 etc.)

On my PC I am now presented with my Vista "Video" folder in a normal navigation window but I can simply select "Desktop" if I want.... (Don't know why I had to choose the Disc option in the first place....)

Enter your project name (again? as the default name is mydvd)

The file type is ISO Image (.iso, .img)

Click Save to convert the video.

I have tried this with a short MPEG2 clip but the resulting .iso file, when burnt back onto to a DVD (using Windows DVD maker) was CRAP!

The .iso can be set to open in VP and when this is done, a converted .avi copy was placed on the desktop....this also was CRAP!

Another copy is added automatically to the media list. Played in VP on the sequence line it was also CRAP....actually SILENT CRAP as it seemed to have lost its soundtrack. :o

I tried again using a lower compression value (setting 10).....result .....C-R-A-P :blink:

Perhaps my settings weren't right..I don't know. :mellow:

So,anyway the option is there..perhaps it will work for you.

Nat