Still Image Transition Issue

Garbo

Hi guys,

I have Videopad 2.40, I finished editing some videos which have still images interspersed throughout.

After saving the project as a movie, the video works fine until the still image, which doesn't appear. The image has been cropped and resized to the same size as the native resolution of the input movie files.

When I put the image as an overlay, it appears on the video fine, but when added as part of the clip, it won't work. However, the transitions are removed if I attempt to simply use the overlay just to get the photo in there.

Anyone have any solutions to this problem?

EDIT: Oh, and the reason why I don't want to simply do the overlay rather than sequencing the photo, is because I want the transitions in place.

EDIT 2: One more thing to note actually, is that I don't have any such problems with frames that have been screenshotted and added into the sequence, with transitions or no. It just seems to be these JPG photos that I have that are causing the problem.

Whoops, sorry guys;

I realised that the images I was using were about 8MB in size, so I made them smaller and it worked.

But, the dissolve transition still doesn't work properly. In the video, it dissolves, then the image flashes momentarily before disappearing and replaced by black. But if you use the seek bar to click on any point with the still image, it will still render the image; just not you let the video progress by rendering the transition, the image won't appear properly.

I think this is a glitch.

Hi

I can't say why your images are not appearing in your finished movie. It may be a PC problem linked to it's processing power during the film rendering process. I think there was a similar problem expressed on the forum earlier. I have tried to emulate it at my end but I am afraid mine work OK. (Sorry! :rolleyes: ) Note. I usually convert my MPEG4 video clips to MPEG2 clips as thse don't suffer from synch problems and they always seem to work OK. I am happy to be shot down on this statement.

I don't think the 8 Mbyte size of your still images matters a great deal. I regularly make DVD slideshows of images that are 10 mega pixels and more in size, and they work just fine. However the ratio of height/width of the image needs to be the same as the video you include in the presentation in order to avoid black borders appearing. I find JPEG images work like any other still image in VP. So I can't see that as being a cause of your problem.

One point with regard to borders; If you use any effects like zoom then remember to click the "Original proportions" button to maintain your frame ratio.

However as your small Mbyte images work OK and you are happy with them that's fine.

Again, mixing video and images shouldn't be a problem, and I have made quite a number of films with VP that are mixtures.(Useful if you can't reshoot a clip of, say, a building. You can at least insert a still image you may have and add a gentle pan or zoom to it and so maintain a "video" effect.)

More importantly, with regards to overlays and transitions. Transitions are only applied to images/videos placed on the sequence line, they dont apply to the objects on the overlay track. These are OVERLAYS and have no connection with the sequence line clip (even when linked,) excepting that they play at the same time. The only transition effect for these is the fade in and out option and this is specific for the overlay. Even if you place the overlay image against a blank frame so that it seems to be part of the main sequence line, and apply a fade in (cross fade) only the blank frame will dissolve, your overlay will not alter, it will just appear suddenly. (The fade in and out for the overlay would be difficult to synch with the transition applied to the main sequence.)

So my advice is to try this:-

Convert your video files to MPEG2 format, and add to the media list as normal.( As I said, I feel MPEG2 takes less processing in VP but it's a personal thing.)

In a separate image editing program, (you could use Irfanview to batch treat your still images,) change the ratio height/width of of the stills to match the ratio of your video clips. They dont have to be the same physical size, just the same shape, although being the same size does help.

Add the images to the media list.

Create your sequence of video and images by dragging and dropping them to the sequence track. etc.

Edit lengths, sound track as needed and add the transitions where required. This will be your basic sequence. The transitions will only apply to the main sequence track.

Now add the overlays. There is no need to add an image as an overlay if it could simply be added to the sequence line in the first place, unless it specifically needs to appear OVER the main sequence line content.

If you do use overlays just remember that they won't be affected by any effect added to the sequence line, only by those you set in the overlay option panel.

Check that the result plays as you want it to in VP preview and then save to PC or disc.

I like to save initially to a DVD-RW disc as if it doesn't play correctly I haven't wasted a disc.

If it works OK it's a simple matter to copy the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders to a new DVD disc.

Sorry...Long winded reply....Hope it helps anyway.

Nat

1)