Maddening clip ghosts

dablob

When inserting a new clip onto the timeline between two other clips I position the cursor at what seems like the beginning point of the second (end) clip. I insert the new media, clicking on the radio button for insert at cursor. However, invariably, there is a visible ghost image of the previous clip that remains. Is there anyway around this....i.e. a way to indicate insert at beginning of highlighted clip? I have tried removing the clips and reinserting them in order but this either doesn't work at all or pushes the phenomenon into other clips further down the timeline.

HELP!!!!!!

Hi

The function of allowing you to place the clip at start/end/cursor position seems have gone from the version of VP that I am using (2.41.....sure it USED to be there.. :huh: ) However, your problem of correctly positioning a clip between two others is fairly straightforward.

Just drag the clip from the media list down to the sequence line and then along the sequence line to where you want to add it between existing clips. As you move it along you will see a pink arrow appear as the name of your clip crosses the joins. Drop the new clip when this arrow appears at the join in question and it will insert automatically.

If you add the clip to the cursor position VP will split the sequence and insert your clip,

which can be annoying if you meant to place the cursor beween clips as if you don't get it right it leaves a few frames where the split was made.

Positioning the cursor (if that is your method of choice, is probably best done by zooming in on the sequence at the join and then stepping through a frame at a time using the < > tabs on either side of the "Play" button in the right hand preview pane. When the image changes from one clip to the other add your new bit to the cursor position. Normally this works OK but depending on the zoom may still leave a frame cut off. If you feel this odd frame can be deleted without spoiling your movie, switch to storyboard mode and you will see your unwanted frame. (It will have a small duration value). Right click it and select to delete.

Alternatively you can add your clip to the start or end of your sequence and in storyboard mode... (the sequence is visually shorter in this mode) simply drag your addition along (it will appear as a transparent image) to the joint position and then drop it. It will insert between the two clips. If it goes into the wrong slot, simply drag it along a bit further.

In all of these methods the clips should play along the sequence without any extraneous bits.

Nat

Hi

"The function of allowing you to place the clip at start/end/cursor position seems have gone from the version of VP that I am using (2.41.....sure it USED to be there.. )"

Oops! Forgot that I set the default to add clips/blanks to end of the time line in my last project ..... No wonder the choices had disappeared! :o

Nat

• 4 weeks later...

I am also having a problem like this. I have a video clip, a little over 3 minutes, a audio track, and I'm adding still shots using the overlay. The first time I was making the video I was 99% done and watching the preview and there was a quick blip or clip ghost. I tracked it down to what photo it was, deleted that photo and it still had the blip. I removed many photos in that area of the video and could not get rid of the blip. I got it done to finding the culprit, but it was now a thin blue line that I could not delete, or adjust to a larger time frame because when I click on this thin blue line it jumps over behind the other photos. I ended up starting all over, from square one. I am about 1/3 into the video and a text overlay (that would not work for me and I'm sure I deleted it)blipped in a preview of the work I had done. I have removed all the photos, and have watched the original video clip to see if the ghost image of the text shows up and yes, it does. I went back and found a blue line in the timeline, but once again I clicked on it and it disappeared to the very beginning of the video clip and I can not find it, it is hidden. I tried opening it up with the storyboard and it does not show up. Is this a normal occurrence? This is a big waste of my time and money, please advise how to deal with this problem.

Hi Patty

Are you adding the still shots as part of the movie or simply to overlay them over a video clip? If your stills are meant to be viewed IN the movie (as in a slideshow) then you should add them to the sequence line and not the overlay track.

Don't know what your thin blue line is, except that on occasions if you move a sound bite about it sometimes leaves a line behind but it's only an artifact that disappears as the play bar moves over it or if you drag a sound clip over it.

With regards starting over..did you start again from scratch or reload the project?

If it was a complete restart (i.e. you cleared the cache and started a new project by adding new media from your PC to an empty media list) then any text previously overlaid will not appear. However,if you are adding a previously saved clip that already has a ghost text then that is another matter and unless you can find the original or do some cutting to that clip (you could use the zoom effect or crop effect to remove the text if possible) you will be stuck with it.

If you have reloaded your project you may still be loading the fault.

If your thin line is on the overlay track and you think this might be the source of your ghost text then you may have inadvertantly dragged one end of an overlay so reducing its length to virtually nothing. You can see if anything is there if you switch to timeline mode, right click the overlay track and then zoom in to maximum using the mouse scroll wheel, or you want, use the zoom slider. Move the sequence line scroll bar to the left or right and check if there is an tiny overlay present. If there is, it will now be visible you can easily delete it. Even when reduced to its smallest length,an overlay text can be made visible this way.

Nat

Hi Patty

Are you adding the still shots as part of the movie or simply to overlay them over a video clip? If your stills are meant to be viewed IN the movie (as in a slideshow) then you should add them to the sequence line and not the overlay track.

Don't know what your thin blue line is, except that on occasions if you move a sound bite about it sometimes leaves a line behind but it's only an artifact that disappears as the play bar moves over it or if you drag a sound clip over it.

With regards starting over..did you start again from scratch or reload the project?

If it was a complete restart (i.e. you cleared the cache and started a new project by adding new media from your PC to an empty media list) then any text previously overlaid will not appear. However,if you are adding a previously saved clip that already has a ghost text then that is another matter and unless you can find the original or do some cutting to that clip (you could use the zoom effect or crop effect to remove the text if possible) you will be stuck with it.

If your thin line is on the overlay track and you think this might be the source of your ghost text then you may have inadvertantly dragged one end of an overlay so reducing its length to virtually nothing. You can see if anything is there if you switch to timeline mode, right click the overlay track and then zoom in to maximum using the mouse scroll wheel, or you want, use the zoom slider. Move the sequence line scroll bar to the left or right and check if there is an tiny overlay present. If there is, it will now be visible you can easily delete it. Even when reduced to its smallest length,an overlay text can be made visible this way.

Nat

Nat, I did start over from scratch, and then reloaded the still shots from the original spots, no ghost text on them. I believe you've stated exactly what has happened with the overlay being reduced to nothing but a blue line. I did go and switch to timeline mode (I had read something here that steered me that way) but it showed absolutely nothing. I had deleted all pictures but I still had that blue line that when I clicked on it, it went and hid behind the very beginning of the sequence line. I will try the zoom and see if I can track it down. Thanks so much for the advice, I'm not sure how soon I can look at it. Maybe tomorrow evening.

Patty

Nat, I did start over from scratch, and then reloaded the still shots from the original spots, no ghost text on them. I believe you've stated exactly what has happened with the overlay being reduced to nothing but a blue line. I did go and switch to timeline mode (I had read something here that steered me that way) but it showed absolutely nothing. I had deleted all pictures but I still had that blue line that when I clicked on it, it went and hid behind the very beginning of the sequence line. I will try the zoom and see if I can track it down. Thanks so much for the advice, I'm not sure how soon I can look at it. Maybe tomorrow evening.

Patty

Sorry I haven't come back to this thread for so long. I tracked down what the problem was and it wasn't related to poorly aligned clips. The file sizes of the images in my clips were too large and the program was choking on them when it tried to render it all into the final movie file. I used Irfanview to reduce the image file sizes and that took care of the problem.

Hope this helps!

Hi Patty

Nat

I had the same issue and this is what I did ... really simple ... and I'm using VP 4.21:

1. Click directly on the clip shown in the video track of the timeline (this will place the slider at the beginning of the clip), then

2. Add the new clip or still picture at the "slider's position".

BTW, if by any chance your clip was already selected, clicking on it again will not move the slider. Therefore, click on a different clip on the video track first and then click on the clip in front of which you want to insert the new clip/still.