Questions on transitions

ipaddle4fun

Hi gang,

I'm excited about learning some video stuff here. Grateful for the forums!

I have a clip loaded and I want to learn some basics like creating an 'Intro' clip, that would have my logo, video created by...that kind of stuff. And I want to learn how to create an ending that shows credits and my web address.

I've started with the intro/logo and while the intro/logo does fade out slowly once the movie clip begins, I would like to have to have a short section before my intro/logo that is just black or white, then have the intro/logo slowly fade in. What's happening is the logo just pops up. No fade. Hard to describe as I don't know video terms yet. Hope this makes sense.

The ending piece? Well, I think I can work around that and will post a question if I can't.

Love the YouTube videos and hope they will continue to post new ones.

Chris

Hi

You don't say which version of VP you are using but I can outline the steps that I use with v2.12 (Basic unlicenced free version)to produce the effect you are after.

1) Open VP and add your main video clip to the media list.

2) Switch the sequence line to Storyboard mode as I personally feel you can see things a little easier.

3) Left Click "Insert Blank" and add a blank frame.

4) Left Click "Insert Blank" and add a second blank frame this time to the end of the timeline.

5) Drag your video clip from the media list and drop it at the end of the timeline. (You could also right click

it and select "Add items to sequence") Now your sequence is Blank1-Blank2-Video.

In my version I can add text to the second frame (the Blank2) as follows.....

6) Right click the second frame (Blank2)and select "Adjust Effects"

7) In the window that comes up left click the tab "Text Title"

8) You can now type the text you require in the Caption box and use the other controls to set the font/position/size

and colour of the text followed by OK. Your text will now appear as part of the clip you selected.(Blank2)

In version 2.12 which I use, you have limited control over the position of your text and it is NOT an overlay in the strict sense. If you are running a later version of VP this simple text feature is not available as such. Instead you have to add an overlay text which has its own track in the sequence. Therefore it can be positioned to appear against any section of a video clip that is playing in the upper video track. Further being an overlay you can pan and zoom it, although I don't think you can apply a cross fade or fade to the overlay itself. This means it will appear abruptly and disaapear abruptly. (Although I may be completely wrong with regards this.. :huh: ...somebody else may be able to clarify this point. I haven't played with a very recent version of VP.)

Now with your text on clip 2 it is a simple matter to apply a cross fade to the end of clip 1.

9) Left click the blue lined square between the first clip and your text clip. Select the Cross Fade option from the menu and then enter the duration you require.....say 1 second. Now click OK

The square will now show a cross fade icon and the duration time of 1.0 second. A yellow bar across the top of the rectangle will show that ou have an effect added.

10) Now do the same for the transition betweeen clip 2 and your video clip.

When you preview your whole sequence your title should fade in from black; the title should then fade in (still black). The title will then fade out as your clip fades in.

If you want to cross fade your title out to black and then cross fade in your film then simply add a third Blank Frame and fade this out from your title and then cross fade this into your film.

If you have your logo actually as a FILM CLIP or want to use a video clip without any text on it for your title (or an image) then use this instead of the second Blank Frame although any text you add as your title may have to be carefully positioned to avoid covering any details in your clip image.

Lastly the blank frames have a default duration value of 5 seconds (Note that this can be reset to any value under the Options tab)

However you can alter the duration of any still image (including blanks along with their text) by changing the value shown beneath the clips by clicking on the square with the yellow line and entering a new value.

You can do all these manipulations also in the timeline mode.

If you want to have a fading in/out title actually within a single moving video clip then this is also possible...

Put the clip onto the sequence line and split it into three parts. (Make sure it is of sufficient duration for your proposed title to fade in; be read and fade out)...say about 8-9 seconds in total.

Make the first part and last part about 2-3 seconds minimum.

As outlined above add your title to the middle clip and then apply cross fades between the clips of 1/2 second.

The title will then fade in and out against the whole clip and the dissolves will be virtually undetectable, particularly if the sequence used has no real fast action. Even if it has, the viewer will be concentrating on the text and won't notice any dissolves in the actual footage.

Hope this may be of some help.

Regards

Nat

Nat, Thanks a bunch for your in depth reply! I'll read/work through!

Hi

You don't say which version of VP you are using but I can outline the steps that I use with v2.12 (Basic unlicenced free version)to produce the effect you are after.

1) Open VP and add your main video clip to the media list.

2) Switch the sequence line to Storyboard mode as I personally feel you can see things a little easier.

3) Left Click "Insert Blank" and add a blank frame.

4) Left Click "Insert Blank" and add a second blank frame this time to the end of the timeline.

5) Drag your video clip from the media list and drop it at the end of the timeline. (You could also right click

it and select "Add items to sequence") Now your sequence is Blank1-Blank2-Video.

In my version I can add text to the second frame (the Blank2) as follows.....

6) Right click the second frame (Blank2)and select "Adjust Effects"

7) In the window that comes up left click the tab "Text Title"

8) You can now type the text you require in the Caption box and use the other controls to set the font/position/size

and colour of the text followed by OK. Your text will now appear as part of the clip you selected.(Blank2)

In version 2.12 which I use, you have limited control over the position of your text and it is NOT an overlay in the strict sense. If you are running a later version of VP this simple text feature is not available as such. Instead you have to add an overlay text which has its own track in the sequence. Therefore it can be positioned to appear against any section of a video clip that is playing in the upper video track. Further being an overlay you can pan and zoom it, although I don't think you can apply a cross fade or fade to the overlay itself. This means it will appear abruptly and disaapear abruptly. (Although I may be completely wrong with regards this.. :huh: ...somebody else may be able to clarify this point. I haven't played with a very recent version of VP.)

Now with your text on clip 2 it is a simple matter to apply a cross fade to the end of clip 1.

9) Left click the blue lined square between the first clip and your text clip. Select the Cross Fade option from the menu and then enter the duration you require.....say 1 second. Now click OK

The square will now show a cross fade icon and the duration time of 1.0 second. A yellow bar across the top of the rectangle will show that ou have an effect added.

10) Now do the same for the transition betweeen clip 2 and your video clip.

When you preview your whole sequence your title should fade in from black; the title should then fade in (still black). The title will then fade out as your clip fades in.

If you want to cross fade your title out to black and then cross fade in your film then simply add a third Blank Frame and fade this out from your title and then cross fade this into your film.

If you have your logo actually as a FILM CLIP or want to use a video clip without any text on it for your title (or an image) then use this instead of the second Blank Frame although any text you add as your title may have to be carefully positioned to avoid covering any details in your clip image.

Lastly the blank frames have a default duration value of 5 seconds (Note that this can be reset to any value under the Options tab)

However you can alter the duration of any still image (including blanks along with their text) by changing the value shown beneath the clips by clicking on the square with the yellow line and entering a new value.

You can do all these manipulations also in the timeline mode.

If you want to have a fading in/out title actually within a single moving video clip then this is also possible...

Put the clip onto the sequence line and split it into three parts. (Make sure it is of sufficient duration for your proposed title to fade in; be read and fade out)...say about 8-9 seconds in total.

Make the first part and last part about 2-3 seconds minimum.

As outlined above add your title to the middle clip and then apply cross fades between the clips of 1/2 second.

The title will then fade in and out against the whole clip and the dissolves will be virtually undetectable, particularly if the sequence used has no real fast action. Even if it has, the viewer will be concentrating on the text and won't notice any dissolves in the actual footage.

Hope this may be of some help.

Regards

Nat

Hi again

I have just been trying out V2.41 which intitially I thought couldn't fade the text when added as an overlay. In fact I am wrong! It will. You just have to scroll the panel along to the right to see the option FADE which was initially partly hidden from view. OOPS! :(

Clicking this when you have set up your overlay title will make it fade in and out when it is played.

Nat