Won't Play mp3 Or wav Files

ohh_yeah

I'm using Windows 7 and Express Scribe 5.03, I am able to load all files but I can only play wma files. Even the welcome message (wav) from NCH won't play, all the files will play in Windows Media Player. When I try to play the files Express Scribe quits responding but eventually will start responding.

I have Googled and read on this and can't find where the problem is... Any help on this is greatly appreciated, I desperately need to get this problem resolved and this program working.

Thanks

I'm using Windows 7 and Express Scribe 5.03

Is this the first time you've installed Scribe or did you have a working version before? If you had a working version before, is it only the version of Scribe that's changed?

I am able to load all files but I can only play wma files.

When the non-working files load, do they show the correct duration?

When I try to play the files Express Scribe quits responding

Is it only when you try to play that this happens? Are you able to seek around the audio by moving the position slider while the audio is stopped?

but eventually will start responding.

Does the audio play after it starts responding?

1. I installed 5.01 first with the same problems and installed 5.03 and nothing changed. It's a new computer, Dell Studio XPS8100, Windows 7 64 bit, RealTek Hd audio.

2.Yes they do show the correct duration.

3. Yes it's only when I try to play the Welcome.wav file or a mp3 file. Once I load the file I can click on the load tab, option tab or any of the tabs they open OK but once I click on play, fast forward, rewind any of those actions the program quits responding. If I let the program sit for a period of time it will start responding but not playing those files.

4. No it won't play, and if I click on play, rewind, fast forward or any of those it quits responding again.

Last night I loaded Nuance Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred 10.1 and when I made it to the microphone sound level test it stopped responding, this happened every time. Now I'm wondering if it's something to do with the sound card. Funny this would happen with two programs that depend on sound. Just a thought...

Thank you Mike

Last night I loaded Nuance Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred 10.1 and when I made it to the microphone sound level test it stopped responding, this happened every time. Now I'm wondering if it's something to do with the sound card. Funny this would happen with two programs that depend on sound.

Even funnier that Windows Media Player works.

Nevertheless, this sounds like a question for Dell.

• 3 months later...

Is this the first time you've installed Scribe or did you have a working version before? If you had a working version before, is it only the version of Scribe that's changed?

When the non-working files load, do they show the correct duration?

Is it only when you try to play that this happens? Are you able to seek around the audio by moving the position slider while the audio is stopped?

Does the audio play after it starts responding?

I have seen this on other Dell Studio XPS8100 ... the resolve is simple and leads me to believe that Dell had a bad image on some these units... You can try these steps and decide for yourself:

Uninstall realtek drive (select the delete driver box when uninstalling) then delete the realtek folder.

Go to dell and download realtek audio driver and program R24528 (will be the same 6.0.1.5953 driver)

reboot and reinstall realtek software and driver -- I think your problem will be resolved

now try Express Scribe 5.03 and setting up Dragon Naturally Speaking ... both should now work :)

Good luck!

Please post back if this worked for you - Thank you