Windows 7 Issues

beachgeek

After installing Win7 I got a message saying Express Scribe will not work, download the new version. I went to the download page and downloaded it but I get the same message. I note there is a version 5.0 and the download page gives me 4.xx. Is 5.0 what I need? Where do I find 5.0?

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone having problems with Express Scribe version 5.0 in Windows 7 regarding audio codecs, simply go to the following web site address and download the TrueSpeech Codec installer. I downloaded it to my desktop and simply opened a sound file in wav format in Express Scribe and it works!

http://www.bytescribe.com/index.php?id=32

My initial problem was only that I bought a new Gateway computer with Windows 7 and Express Scribe would not play simple wav files. I searched high and low for a solution regarding codecs and finally found it on the Bytescribe web site of all places. Prior to this I attempted to convert files as well amongst other things and nothing seemed to work. I'll be glad to go into further detail if anyone needs assistance.

I love my new computer and Windows 7 is okay so far as well.

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone having problems with Express Scribe version 5.0 in Windows 7 regarding audio codecs, simply go to the following web site address and download the TrueSpeech Codec installer. I downloaded it to my desktop and simply opened a sound file in wav format in Express Scribe and it works!

http://www.bytescribe.com/index.php?id=32

My initial problem was only that I bought a new Gateway computer with Windows 7 and Express Scribe would not play simple wav files. I searched high and low for a solution regarding codecs and finally found it on the Bytescribe web site of all places. Prior to this I attempted to convert files as well amongst other things and nothing seemed to work. I'll be glad to go into further detail if anyone needs assistance.

I love my new computer and Windows 7 is okay so far as well.

OMG! I wish to thank you so much for this wonderful solution. I was about to uninstall win7 just because it wouldn't play those wav files... but you just saved me! Now let me enjoy win7 some more... thanks so much again! you just made my new year! ;)

• 6 months later...

I wish to add my thanks. Something similar happened years ago when I first started using Express Scribe and this was the solution then, but I had forgotten. now my new ES is working fine. thanks again. it was a little difficult to find this post with the solution, but persistence paid off.

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much! This worked for me also! I am in school for transcription and recently had test .wav files sent to me from a potential employer and I could not open them in anything. I also have Windows 7 as of recently, but they wouldn't open on my other computer either which is a vista. So this may work for that computer too. All other .wav files opened with ES except these. But all other .wav files were from disks from school. I uploaded GSpot to determine what type of codec these files were using and it said "DSP Group TrueSpeech". The bytescribe website you recommended was the only one that you could easily get this codec. Now the files are working. :)