Problems Recording Direct from Turntable

audiofool

I have recorded semi-successfully with a record player using the line out audio jacks. Trying to get the best out of my LP's, I borrowed a friends high-end stand alone turntable. Obviously no pre-amp involved. Worked perfect at friends house. I changed the settings on GR to "direct from turntable" and also the equalization setting on playback. I get almost no volume on the green bars. Played with most recording volume controls I could find. Decibels aren't enough to trigger recording. Program shuts down saying "no audible". It seems the software isn't changing to the "direct from turntable" option.

Anyone else have this problem??

Thanks

I have recorded semi-successfully with a record player using the line out audio jacks. Trying to get the best out of my LP's, I borrowed a friends high-end stand alone turntable. Obviously no pre-amp involved. Worked perfect at friends house. I changed the settings on GR to "direct from turntable" and also the equalization setting on playback. I get almost no volume on the green bars. Played with most recording volume controls I could find. Decibels aren't enough to trigger recording. Program shuts down saying "no audible". It seems the software isn't changing to the "direct from turntable" option.

Anyone else have this problem??

Thanks

It is known that all turntables do not put as strong or as normalized a signal as processing from a pre-amp or amp/receiver. Not all turntables are created equal. I have had great results connecting my turntable to my receiver/amp and feeding the output from the Tape Out jacks of the receiver into the converter unit I use: a Behringer UCA202. Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

It is known that all turntables do not put as strong or as normalized a signal as processing from a pre-amp or amp/receiver. Not all turntables are created equal. I have had great results connecting my turntable to my receiver/amp and feeding the output from the Tape Out jacks of the receiver into the converter unit I use: a Behringer UCA202. Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Thanks for the reply Phil,

It's very possible the turntable just doesn't have the DB's to trigger the Software recording. I have also tried to run it through my Pioneer A/V Reciever but realized, it doesn't have any phono inputs !! Bummer. Do you know if there's any inputs that would work ? It's got all the usual other than phono. Tape, DVD, Laser Disc, etc.

Thanks for the reply Phil,

It's very possible the turntable just doesn't have the DB's to trigger the Software recording. I have also tried to run it through my Pioneer A/V Reciever but realized, it doesn't have any phono inputs !! Bummer. Do you know if there's any inputs that would work ? It's got all the usual other than phono. Tape, DVD, Laser Disc, etc.

I am not an expert on audio electronics, but from the little I think I know, Phono input jacks and the electronics to process a phono signal is different from that of other inputs (CD, Tape, etc.). I think you will need to try and get an old used (or a new) receiver with phono jacks if you are going to get an adequate signal to trigger Golden Records. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

I was pretty dumbfounded to read that the software can accomplish the RIAA equalization...

I assume it either has very sophisticated DSP, or the results are not as good as using a phono preamp.

If it was better than using a preamp, I think everyone would just use it that way...and not bother with a preamp.

I am curious to know from people who have used a direct cartridge output & RIAA EQ within the software, how well it worked.

...and maybe what cartridge you used & it's 'rated' output level.

I'm looking for a reality check - if one's turntable cost more than PC, is the direct from turntable method equal to, better than, or worse than using a preamp first. (Thinking about using NYAL SuperIt phono-only preamp - after I fix it).

Thanks

Murray

I am not an expert on audio electronics, but from the little I think I know, Phono input jacks and the electronics to process a phono signal is different from that of other inputs (CD, Tape, etc.). I think you will need to try and get an old used (or a new) receiver with phono jacks if you are going to get an adequate signal to trigger Golden Records. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Thanks for the update Phil,

I recently purchased a small pre-amp online and now I'm at least getting some decent volume readings. The more I dig into this, the more knowledgable I become. The pre-amp if "I am not mistaken", only takes magnetic cartridge voltage ( 5.0 mv), and boosts it up to line level. I don't think there is any other tone adjustments involved. So basically I'm saying that a new reciever with phono inputs isn't really necessary. I bought the pre-amp for $19.99.

Thanks again,

Bill