Goldem Records Problem

marty1314

I recently purchased the Golden Records program. It was working fine for several days but now it's closing itself during a recording. It flashes a message before it closes but it's only on the screen for a fraction of a second so I can't read it. Any ideas? The opening screen shows that I'm using a registered version.

• 3 months later...
I recently purchased the Golden Records program. It was working fine for several days but now it's closing itself during a recording. It flashes a message before it closes but it's only on the screen for a fraction of a second so I can't read it. Any ideas? The opening screen shows that I'm using a registered version.

I, too have that problem. But it stays on long enough to tell me that the program had encountered a problem and had to shut down. I can restart it and it will convert and normalize the last song. But it screws up the number order and does not allow me to record but two or three songs at a time.

I too have encountered the same problem on my laptop running Vista. The latest version of the registered version of Golden Records (GR) normally crashes at the beginning of a recording, just after I have dropped the stylus in the blank area at the beginning of a vinyl LP track to be converted and I have pressed the "Record" button. GR then indicates that it is "Waiting For Audio" and the crash occurs before I see the "Recording" message from GR. I briefly see a message to submit a report to NCH Software, but then Vista takes over and indicates that it is closing the prograrm and that is it. I restart GR and I can normally record another two or three tracks before GR crashes again. I have also had a crash happen very infrequently at the end of a track when it is converting the resulting file; and like you, experienced that GR did properly convert the new .wav file, despite the "crash" when I relaunched GR.

I have personally attributed this to an "enhanced" Vista feature and I figure that the NCH Software folks will get to the bottom of it in a future update and correct some incompatibility between GR and Vista. Having been one of the first users of Vista, I have encountered such odd behavior before from a variety of software applications and usually the problem lies with a Vista incompatibility which is subsequently corrected.

I hope the problem is soon resolved because it is annoying, though thankfully, not catastrophic. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

I too have encountered the same problem on my laptop running Vista. The latest version of the registered version of Golden Records (GR) normally crashes at the beginning of a recording, just after I have dropped the stylus in the blank area at the beginning of a vinyl LP track to be converted and I have pressed the "Record" button. GR then indicates that it is "Waiting For Audio" and the crash occurs before I see the "Recording" message from GR. I briefly see a message to submit a report to NCH Software, but then Vista takes over and indicates that it is closing the prograrm and that is it. I restart GR and I can normally record another two or three tracks before GR crashes again. I have also had a crash happen very infrequently at the end of a track when it is converting the resulting file; and like you, experienced that GR did properly convert the new .wav file, despite the "crash" when I relaunched GR.

I have personally attributed this to an "enhanced" Vista feature and I figure that the NCH Software folks will get to the bottom of it in a future update and correct some incompatibility between GR and Vista. Having been one of the first users of Vista, I have encountered such odd behavior before from a variety of software applications and usually the problem lies with a Vista incompatibility which is subsequently corrected.

I hope the problem is soon resolved because it is annoying, though thankfully, not catastrophic. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Thanks, Phil, for the input. I also run Vista. Did your GR ever record like it is supposed to? Mine did for about 10 consecutive cassettes when I first bought it. Then it started this problem. Hopefully NCH will get this figured out.

Carl

Thanks, Phil, for the input. I also run Vista. Did your GR ever record like it is supposed to? Mine did for about 10 consecutive cassettes when I first bought it. Then it started this problem. Hopefully NCH will get this figured out.

Carl

Carl:

I had problems with crashes right from the "get-go". I upgraded to the latest update, 2.13 I think, but the problem persists. Nonetheless, because you simply relaunch the application and don't seem to "lose" anything, it is more of a nuisance. I am optimistic that NCH will find the fix and that it will be related to some Vista issue. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

• 1 month later...
Carl:

I had problems with crashes right from the "get-go". I upgraded to the latest update, 2.13 I think, but the problem persists. Nonetheless, because you simply relaunch the application and don't seem to "lose" anything, it is more of a nuisance. I am optimistic that NCH will find the fix and that it will be related to some Vista issue. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Hello Phil,

You seem to be the GR guru. Thanks so much for your experiences.

Just wanted to say where Vista and GR are. Basically at opposite ends of the world. Guess we can't blame NCH. Only with the fact that they haven't propsed a fix ! I spent weeks of aggravation working with GR on my brand new HP desktop w/ Vista. For whatever reason, I thought I would try the program on an old laptop running XP. Guess you know the next statement. No more dropouts, no more "unknown exception", no more crashes.

Bill

Hello Phil,

You seem to be the GR guru. Thanks so much for your experiences.

Just wanted to say where Vista and GR are. Basically at opposite ends of the world. Guess we can't blame NCH. Only with the fact that they haven't propsed a fix ! I spent weeks of aggravation working with GR on my brand new HP desktop w/ Vista. For whatever reason, I thought I would try the program on an old laptop running XP. Guess you know the next statement. No more dropouts, no more "unknown exception", no more crashes.

Bill

Bill:

Thanks for the undeserved compliment. I am no GR guru, I can assure you. I do like the program, and apart from the crashes, it is fantastic. Thanks for confirming my Vista suspicions. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

• 2 months later...

Carl

Hi Novice, I also have the same problem but on a Macbook, GR worked for the first side of an LP but now just doesn't work at all. I reinstalled and tried again but still the problem. Pity the FAQ's were not available until you bought the software, I probably wouldn't have bought it.