Inserting a clip into the middle of a working sequence

jds015

I am in need of assistance.  I am building a long video out of many different clips, and chronologically I need to insert a clip in the middle.  How can I do this without throwing other parts of the video off?  I basically need to insert it while it pushes the other content out so it incorporates everything without a change other than just the clip being inserted.  How does one do this?  Thanks.

Bear in mind that video clips are usually linked to their audio, so if either track is moved the other will be as well - to remain in sync.

To insert a new clip, make a split.  Do this for all tracks by clicking the scissors   image.png    or the SPLIT button.

To restrict the split to specific tracks click the chevron to the right of the SPLIT button..image.png

Select (highlight) all clips to the right of the split, then drag them to the right, leaving a gap.  If they snap back hold down <alt> while dragging.

Right-click the desired insert clip in the bin and PLACE CLIP ON SEQUENCE AT CURSOR.  Or simply drag it to the left-margin of the gap.  Arrows will appear.

If you make a mistake immediately press <ctrl-Z> (EDIT | UNDO) to backtrack, step-by-step.

Save Project File AS frequently, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  Then you're protected and can double-click a VPJ saved file (which is not playable) to reload the project as it was when saved.  Don't delete or move source files.

Hi

One way.....

• Move the red cursor line to the insertion point
  • Select the clip you want to insert in the clip bin and choose Overlay on Sequence at Cursor  This will place it on the overlay track (usually Video Track 2)
  • Grab the clip in the overlay track and drag it down vertically down onto the main track. It should insert and move all the clips to the right along the track.

Another way.......

• Move the red cursor line to the insertion point
  • Grab the the clip to be inserted from the clip bin and drag it to the main track and move it to the cursor line.
  • Drop the clip when the alignment arrows attach to the cursor line. The clip should insert and move the clips to the right along the track.

Nat