Problem synching audio

marsman

I'm processing some files that I transferred from video tape via ElGato video capture device. This one is a large mp4 file (mp4 is the default output from the ElGato) which, as usual using this device, has a problem synching the audio and video. (Note that subsequent to capturing this video, I have found that I can get an intermediate video file made by ElGato, a .ts file, that does not have the synch problem. The catch is that I have to find that file before ElGato saves the mp4 because the .ts file is autodeleted once the mp4 is saved. However, for this case, I have only the mp4.) I'm having a problem synching the audio and video for one particular segment of my sequence.

The method I use to try to synch the video and audio is to unlink the audio and video clips; then create gaps before and after the clips so there is room to move them around without overlapping other clips in the sequence; drag the audio or video clip until I feel the clips are properly synched; finally group the clips to keep them synched up.

This method has worked fine for me several times. In fact, after I  started having the problem described below, I tried the same method on a clip farther on in the sequence, and it worked fine.

Moving on to the problem. I proceed as described above, but when I drag the audio and drop it, the entire video clip ends up being moved all the way to the end of the audio clip. Ctrl-Z puts everything back the way it was. Moving the video has the same effect, although in this case the audio may end up at the end of the video. I also noticed during this process that the audio clip has a strange little split part way through. When I select the audio clip, it shows highlighted, but there is a short gap part way through that is not highlighted. The waveform in that gap looks like it drops to zero volume, but when I play it, I hear sound continuously. The rest of the audio clip beyond the gap is highlighted. If I hover over any of the three pieces, the properties that are shown (such as duration of the audio) are the same for all three of these pieces.

A really frustrating part of this is that I had the audio and video synched for this clip at one point, but somehow, even though I had the audio and video clips grouped, when I changed something earlier in the sequence, it knocked the audio and video out of synch in this part.

You can see a video that demonstrates some of this here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3fcdohysfdqd4l/VID00002.MP4?dl=0

Unable to replicate the video jump.  If all is UNlinked audio changes will not affect locked video tracks.  Right-click to the left of those tracks and LOCK TRACK.                           The 'gap' issue doesn't ring a bell.

Please use the latest VP version.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

Hi

Perhaps the audio is corrupted as you report some odd breaks etc.

Try this..

• Place your copied video on the timeline
  • Click the + that follows  Sequence 1 X. This creates a sequence and clears the timeline.
  • Open the sequence bin and right click Sequence 1.
  • Select Save Sequence Audio as a New File This should ensure you have a complete audio copy without any odd breaks etc. A copy is saved to the default folder on the PC that you set up under Options/Disc
  • Close VP, Reopen VP and load your copied video
  • Unlink the audio and delete Audio track 1. This will leave just the video without sound.
  • Load your copied sequence audio to VP and drop it on Audio Track 1.
  • Line it up at the start.
  • Make a clean starting edge by Splitting all tracks and removing the bits( if any.)
  • Close the gaps (if any)
  • You are back to square one but with a "clean" audio track which start in synch.
  • Check the end of the timeline
  • Is the sound track too short? If so alter the speed of the audio gradually until the end matches the video

Does this get the synch back?

Nat

Nationalsolo,

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able get the audio synched using some of your suggestions. I shortcutted your method a little: audio and video were already unlinked, so I selected the audio clip and saved as new file. Then deleted the clip from the audio track, loaded the saved (.wav) file. Then I was able to move audio and video around to synch. When I was satisfied, I grouped the audio and video clips to keep them together.

Thanks again.