Subtitles problem

SimonGårdh

Haven't anyone noticed?

When you have 1 text line, it positions itself at the very bottom of the image (if you align to bottom) - which is great!

But with 2 text lines, both of them gets elevated too high in the picture (and starts interfering with what's in the image), creating a gap at the bottom. I am not OK with this.

I'm also not OK with using only 1 text line all the time, the normal thing (like in movies) is that you have 2 text lines.

It's a great feature otherwise, but I need the text to be lowered to the bottom. 

I'd do it all in iMovie, but iMovie has another text problem - the text fades in and out, which is also unacceptable. That's why I need another program to do the subtitles.

Hi

Are you referring to SUBTITLES or Simple text.?   I prefer using simple text.

Subtitles are automatically aligned at the bottom and AFAIK can't be moved or resized. Here is a two line SUBTITLE...

aa.jpg You may feel this is too large so use simple text...

Simple text on the other hand can be placed in any position and made different sizes and colours...Here is a simple text of two lines in different colours (two reflect two people speaking) and  placed at the bottom of the screen...using the text editor controls.

bb.jpg

If the text is too high the font can be reduced in size quite easily........

ccc.jpg

As simple text is an IMAGE it can be placed anywhere  within the frame using the POSITION effect

Example of simple text can be positioned in time by dragging the image along the timeline. Two lines can also be used where required by placing Text 1 on Track 2  and placing Text 2 on Track 3....

dd.jpg

If they are placed in different positions and overlapped on the different tracks Text 1 will appear first  followed by text 2 under it.

Note that if text 1 is entered into the editor and followed by an empty new line (Just Enter) then it will jump up a line and consequently will leave a space for Text 2 to appear in.

ee.jpg

So...for many reasons I would use simple text.

Nat

Hi Simon & Borate

From me.......    "..... subtitles are automatically aligned at the bottom and AFAIK can't be moved or resized......"

From Borate....  "...... click the FORMAT tab.  There font size, color,  outline, shadow, placement, etc.can be specified. .."

Sorry!  I was completely WRONG!!   😡    You can tell I don't use subtitles much!

Nat

I made a short video to show you what I mean but I find no way of uploading it here.

But the thing is, yes I prefer subtitles, it's a really easy to understand feature. But it's still true what I said. With 1 line, it's located at the very bottom, with 2 lines they are elevated as if there was an invisible third line at the very bottom.

And yes, I know about the format tab. It's aligned to the bottom in the format tab and the vertical margin is 0. (If I could only make the vertical margin less than 0, but I can't.) 

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7o4238

Uploaded to Dailymotion. This is what I mean, this is how it is for me as soon as I press "Enter". I can't get the lower line of the 2 lines to actually go to the bottom.

Don't see that here, as demonstrated by the video in my earlier post.  No matter how many lines are added, with vertical margin at 0, the lowest is at the bottom of the image.  Your Dailymotion video will not load.

After typing in the final line, do not hit the <enter> key.

Ok, strange. What about my instagram, does this work? https://www.instagram.com/tv/B4-5jkRlcq3/?hl=sv

I only press enter after I finish the first line, to create the second - I do NOT press enter after the final line.

Is there a bug in my particular copy of VideoPad?

Because I swear - I can NOT get the lowest line to the bottom of the image. There is a gap the size of 1 line, as you hopefully can see. (If I have 3 lines the gap becomes twice as big.)

And in the format section the alignment is definitely set to "bottom" and vertical margin is 0.

As soon as I begin writing on the second line - the text gets elevated (so it's not that I accidentally press enter after the second line) 

In 7.39, cannot replicate your results, as confirmed by the video above.  There's never a 'phantom' line.  What version of VP is being used?

Under OPTIONS|DISK, Clear Unused Cache Files.

Try a reinstall of the latest.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.

Hi

Out of interest....

As soon as the line/or two lines moves up leaving the space, what happens if you press the <.-------- (Delete)  key? Does the text now drop down to the bottom of the screen? and...With the empty line present, where is the flashing cursor...at the end of a line or below the last line?

Nat

I used 7.33 which seems to be the only option for me since I'm on a Mac. 7.39 is only for Windows.

So, maybe 7.33 has this text problem then... Maybe if I try an older one, like 7.31.. but it's probably going to be the same..?

I just need program where I can simply put subtitles over a video...

Nat - yes if I delete everything on the second line the text drops down (even if the cursor is still on the beginning of second line). With the third invisible line present, the cursor is still at the end of the second line.

Hi

Sounds as if there is bug in the S/T text editor....

What SHOULD happen (at least in 7.39.. (Position of S/T set at bottom of screen)

• Open ST editor and type a line of text...Enter NOT pressed   (Note position of vertical flashing cursor line.)......
  • aa.jpg
  • First line of Text appears at the bottom of the screen as expected.
  • Press Enter to start a second line of text........
  • bb.jpg
  • Text line jumps up the screen and flashing cursor goes down to start of second line of text.
  • Enter second line of text...... Enter NOT pressed.....(as before).......
  • ccc.jpg
  • The second line is entered at the bottom of the screen. Flashing cursor remains at end of the second text line in the editor.
  • ...and so on.....
  • NO EMPTY LINE IS CREATED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN UNLESS ENTER IS PRESSED AGAIN.
  • Pressing the Add green cross  now places the S/T in the  List box with its timings and clears the edit area......

dd.jpg

That's how it should work. (At least that's how it works with 7.39 here)

However....In some circumstances, particularly if you have deleted a line of text with the <-------- key (Delete);  the effect of using ENTER earlier which creates a new line can be left behind. I know that might sound odd, but it can leave the editor apparently empty of any text apart from invisible new lines. Any NEW text entered arrives at the top of the editor as expected but appears on screen two or even three lines up!

The way out of this it seems is to repeatedly press the <------ (Delete) key to delete not only the new text BUT ALSO the invisible New Lines below it.

Nat

• 7 months later...

I had the same problem.  Jumping to next line with <enter> simply generated an extra empty line at the end of the subtitles.

Instead, simply hit <control><enter>

That will eliminate the extra lines generated by VideoPad.  Each time you hit <enter> an EXTRA line is generated by VideoPad.  That puts extra lines at the end of your lines.  To eliminate, use <Control><Enter> to jump to the next line.

One thing though, after you skip to a new line with <control><enter> the system stops recognizing the second line as a new line so the alignment (like centering) stops working!  Everything becomes left aligned.

I am using MacBook Pro

VideoPad V: 8.4