Preview lags

Rejosh1

I have a problem with the preview. If I just cut a video (cuts only), there are no problems. But if I add videos one after another, say vidpad, the preview is build and i can not see the transition. This would only be a minor problem if there were not even worse problems. If I have a complex project, with many cuts, some audio and 1-2 video effects, over 10 pictures, 4 audio and video tracks, I can almost no longer use Videopad. If you add something new, this is very difficult.This is sometimes (especially in the newer Versions) so even though the green bar is almost everywhere. This happens even with very large z.b. Video gamplays with over 30 GB (here I can understand it somewhat). This is extreme again in the last versions.
I have tested some (20) older versions from my archive ^^ and the best stable version up to version 3.89 is version 5.04.
I only edit my videos on HD (1280x720).

Funny is also that the situation does not change, although VidoPad since version 6.x twice as much CPU approves, as in the lower versions.
I have an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G (4 cores / 8 threads) with 3.8 GHZ. I also have an SSD for the cache (10GB).
I do not know if it's lies on  Videopad, but since the last 3-4 versions videopad freezet or crashed  from time to time.

You should get better results by first converting video files to low resolution, then using those proxy files - saved to a different folder than the originals - for your edit.

When the project is complete, save the final.  Then substitute the higher-res files for the export.  To convert, use a tool like NCH Prism.

Two replacement methods...

Right-click the file/s in the bin, individually, and CHANGE FILE.  Find the original file and click on it.

Or, if the proxies have been given exactly the same names as the originals, use the PC file manager to replace them in the folder that VP uses, while retaining the proxies in their own folder.

If, during the edit, there is a global effect such as Black and White, it might be better to export, as above, then add that effect to the file that results.  That file will be a single clip, of course, and cannot be deconstructed.

Under OPTIONS|EDITING tab, toggle the Hardware choice, to see if that improves editing speed.  Also, be sure that your video card is up-to-date, from the chip or manufacturer's WEB site.  Check Windows Direct-X as well for updates.  See this FAQ.

Yes, this would be an option, of course, but a very bad one for me. So I have to convert that video 2 times. I just do not understand why it works better in a different version than in a newer one, although the newer version uses 100% instead of 50%. And my CPU ist strong enough. My graphics card is up to date. The hardware choice is during the editing on. For export i must switch the hardware choice off, otherwise the export would be slower because the CPU will not be fully utilized. From version 6.24 the export  is anyway definitely slow. This is another problem. 

Not seeing TWO conversions with that procedure:  batch convert video files once to low-res, use those for the edit, then replace them with the originals.  No conversion at all for the final product.

If you'd like someone to analyze your project, please follow these steps...

1.  Save the project.  Then, with it (or a problematic section of the project) on the timeline, click the FILE menu. SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT AS to any convenient folder.

2.  Open the folder that contains the saved files and ZIP them all.

3.  Upload the zip file to DropBox, Google Drive, MS OneDrive or the like.  It's free.

4.  Make the uploaded file public (share it) and copy the shared link.

5.  Paste the link into this forum.

Nice work on a lengthy video.

Loaded the project.  Even after considerable time, caching, as evidenced by the green lines, was incomplete and playback from random points on the timeline buffered.  But not always.  Lowering preview resolution can help.  Right-click in the preview window to see that choice.  Using smaller files and low PV resolution often improves performance.

Converted the three mp4 and single apng to 320 X 240 to a unique folder.  Moved the originals from the project folder to another.  The process took about fifteen minutes.
Using the PC file manager, copied the low-res files to VP's project folder.

Reloaded and cached the project - both were comparatively quick.  Timeline then played instantaneously, with no buffering no matter where playback was begun.  Preview resolution was set at 768 X 432.

The review now complete, In the VP bin right-clicked on each of the four files, one-by-one, and clicked CHANGE FILE.  Located the hi-res versions and replaced each.

Exported as an mp4 at 1920 X 1080.  Spot checked the result and it looked very good.  Chances are only the two mp4 files could have been proxied with the same result.

Export speed may be affected by the hardware decoding setting - under the OPTIONS|EDITING tab. Toggling it resulted in different readings in the process monitor.

OK. I have now found a way to smoothly play the part where no effects are applied (even without the green bar over the video). I downgraded the Frame Rate (Frames per Second) from 15.000 to 4.500. I did not understand this correctly, I think the setting is how many frames (fps) the video should play, but this is not so. Here I guess the title is wrong (Or have just I this understand false)