Video but no audio whatsoever

carbondrake

I'm having a huge issue right now with trying to import video clips into VideoPad. For some reason, since a few weeks ago, whenever I import a video clip I have no sound with it whatsoever. The files themselves are fine, and recorded with a range of codecs, although my normal one is MP4. Even clips that previously imported correctly now have no sound attached. There is an audio channel that opens, but it's completely blank and no sound plays.

This is seriously big concern as I'm basically unable to edit anything at all.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is the audio track MUTED, or is the volume slider fully to the left?

Is the track collapsed (click the far-left arrow), though it should still display a waveform?

Can you upload a file to a server and link the URL here, so it can be examined?

Have you tried reinstalling Videopad?

So before I posted I did change the audio, collapse etc, although figured it wouldn't help as there is no audio wave whatsoever. Have reinstalled it, and it's not just one file, it's ALL of them. I don't know if it's because I'm recording through Bandicam but I've tried importing files from every recording codec I have and the sound just isn't there, despite being perfectly fine in the original file.

I'm completely out of ideas and I have no idea now.

Do you mean there is no audio track imported at all (not just playback)?

Please try clean up your hard disk and make more empty space. VideoPad need more space for handling bigger clips.

If that doesn't work please post here and we'll try something else.

It is possible that some component files are corrupted or outdated for some reason.

Component files (e.g. codecs) are downloaded on demand. They do not being reinstall when you reinstall VideoPad.

Please try delete all the component files. After they are removed from your local disk, they will be automatically downloaded/installed next time you use the functionalities in VideoPad.

At the moment you have to find and delete the files manually. They can be found in two folders:

• C:\Program Files\NCH Software\Components
  • C:\Users\[user Name]\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Components

Please note that AppData folder is hidden by default.

Component files are shared by all NCH products. You can safely delete all files in the component folders as they will be re-installed on demand.

If you have problem finding and deleting component file. Please follow these steps:

1. Right click on your desktop, select New->Text document.
  2. Ignore the file name for now by clicking away.
  3. Double click on it and open Notepad.
  4. Copy the two lines below into Notepad:
    rmdir "%appdata%\NCH Software\Components" /s /q
    rmdir "%programfiles(x86)%\NCH Software\Components" /s /q

5. Save the file and exit Notepad.
  6. Rename the file to "1.bat" (or whatever file name you want, just have to be .bat).
  7. Right click on the .bat file and select Run as administrator (you need to logged in as administrator).

Hope this helps.

Nope, didn't help whatsoever, still having the exact same issues. Also, not sure if this is related, but I've been trying to export a video that ends with a still image. On some occasions, the image doesn't appear at all and the video freezes on the last frame of the main video. In EVERY instance, exporting the video adds on 25 seconds of the last visible frame (either the image or the final video frame). I can find no way to remove this, and for some reason it's always 25 seconds exactly, which obviously messes up my video.

This is becoming increasingly irritating for both issues, because now it's really causing havoc on my upload schedule.

Hmm... Have you tried clear the cache:

1. Open VideoPad without loading and project.
  2. Select Options->Disk->Clear Unused Cache Files.
  3. And then restart VideoPad and try import clips again.

If you still have the problem, there is a new version of VideoPad will be released in couple of days with some important bug fixes. I suggest please wait to try out the latest version and then report back to us.

Also the 25 seconds issue looks strange, does anyone else noticed this problem? I have a feeling you might have an invisible sound track - that can change your exporting length. Could you provide a few screenshots let us see how you arrange your project?

Ok so, just updated and ran some more tests. One, the audio still isn't appearing at all on some clips. Two, the 25 seconds thing is not apparently set to 25 seconds, just as a test I exported a 6 second video clip which came out longer than 7 seconds with a still image in the last second. As for the screenshots, all I do is add the file to the project, then put it in the slot, then export it. I've attached a picture which shows the settings and the empty audio line (the audio is definitely present in the original file.Issues_Screen.jpg

I'll hazard a guess that's it's the Mp3 (layer 2) audio that is tripping VP up. Likely codec related.

When rerecorded at Mp3 (layer 3 / 160 bits) and dropped onto the timeline to replace the original, it played fine in VP. 6.7 seconds run time for both A/V.

When the new sequence was exported, and that AVI was loaded into VP it played as seen here - http://hevanet.com/hb/pixel.avi

Well I have had success separating the audio in other software and importing separately, but it's seriously time consuming to do that with every video, especially if I'm overlaying two together and have to sync them. What would you suggest as a fix for this? What other codecs should I be using?

Also, how can I salvage a file that still has the issue with the extended ending? It's a seriously long project and I really do not want to do it again.

We've examined the first video (on Google Drive). In fact it has two sound tracks and one of them is silent. For some reason VideoPad selected the silent track. There is no indication which one should be used (or should be mixed).

Thanks for sharing the files.

I tried export using the settings you provided but didn't see any freeze at the end. Will try again on a number of different machines.

Update: We couldn't reproduce the problem here. I've sent the link above to our test team so they will download the files and try to reproduce the problem.

So, an update here. The freeze issue does actually seem to be an issue with .avi exports. I tried an MPEG export again today and it worked perfectly. I'm guessing I have some out-of-date avi codec. As for the other issue, I'm going to try a few different codecs to see if I can sort it.

I just downloaded VideoPad today (paid version) and I'm having the same issue, no matter what video files I import. Audio works everywhere else on my system, even within the VideoPad software when checking out the stock sounds. But once I add them to the Timeline and try to play them back, no sound. I can see the track and waveform on the timeline, but it doesn't play.

I've tried deleting the component files as suggested earlier in this thread, but that did not help. Any fixes for this? Or did I just waste my money?