Order of video clips

kafka

Having overcome the problem of audio/visual synchronisation I now have a second question. Having added all the clips in correct order I stabilise them one by one and move them down to the clips area below. The problem is that, as I move them down, the clip I last moved is placed ahead of the previous clips (i.e. if I have five clips to process, the fifth clip will be at the front of the video and the first clip at the end. How can I overcome this?

Hi

You probably need to change one of the "Options" settings. (See below)

The first step is to load all your clips to the media list window using the "Add Media" button on the tool bar. (I am sure you will have done this :) ) Your clips will then list up in the window on the left. If they dont then click the tab marked "Media List"

The next step is to get the clips from the list onto the the sequence line. You can do this in two ways but first of all set the program options as follows.:-

Left click the "Options" tab on the toolbar followed by the "Other" tab. In the box prefixed by "Add new clip to the following position" select "Ask me" from the drop down menu. Now click OK. This will ensure that if you add clips directly from the media list you will be prompted as to where you want them to go. I am thinking from your post that this has been set to "Beginning of timeline"

Now, to get the clips onto the sequence...The simplest way is just to drag the clip in question from the media list and drop it directly onto the sequence track. You can drop the clip into any position relative to the clips already there. If you drag your new clip left or right along the track a pink arrow appears over the junction between existing clips and that is where your new clip will go when you drop it.

The second method is to right click the clip on the media list and from the menu that appears select to "Add item(s) to the sequence". If the clip is the first clip to be added it will appear immediately. If otherwise you will now be prompted as to where you want the new clip to be placed. (As you have set the options to "Ask me".) If you happen to select "Sliders position" your sequence will be split for the new clip to be inserted. You would normally select "End of timeline" in order to build up your film in the correct playing order. (Left to right)

Note that if you have a clip on the sequence in the wrong place (Say, you missed one on the list and it's been added at the end of the timeline,) you can simply select it and drag it along right or left to the correct place where a pink arrow appears and then release it.

Hope this helps

Nat

Hi

You probably need to change one of the "Options" settings. (See below)

The first step is to load all your clips to the media list window using the "Add Media" button on the tool bar. (I am sure you will have done this :) ) Your clips will then list up in the window on the left. If they dont then click the tab marked "Media List"

The next step is to get the clips from the list onto the the sequence line. You can do this in two ways but first of all set the program options as follows.:-

Left click the "Options" tab on the toolbar followed by the "Other" tab. In the box prefixed by "Add new clip to the following position" select "Ask me" from the drop down menu. Now click OK. This will ensure that if you add clips directly from the media list you will be prompted as to where you want them to go. I am thinking from your post that this has been set to "Beginning of timeline"

Now, to get the clips onto the sequence...The simplest way is just to drag the clip in question from the media list and drop it directly onto the sequence track. You can drop the clip into any position relative to the clips already there. If you drag your new clip left or right along the track a pink arrow appears over the junction between existing clips and that is where your new clip will go when you drop it.

The second method is to right click the clip on the media list and from the menu that appears select to "Add item(s) to the sequence". If the clip is the first clip to be added it will appear immediately. If otherwise you will now be prompted as to where you want the new clip to be placed. (As you have set the options to "Ask me".) If you happen to select "Sliders position" your sequence will be split for the new clip to be inserted. You would normally select "End of timeline" in order to build up your film in the correct playing order. (Left to right)

Note that if you have a clip on the sequence in the wrong place (Say, you missed one on the list and it's been added at the end of the timeline,) you can simply select it and drag it along right or left to the correct place where a pink arrow appears and then release it.

Hope this helps

Nat

Thanks Nat, I followed your instructions and they worked. I was a bit disappointed with the final result, however. The stabilised video, when played on my TV, shimmered too much to make it watchable. Perhaps the original video was just a little bit too shaky.

Hi

If the original film is just a bit unsteady then the VP stabilising feature (deshaker plugin) can work extremely well but it's only capable of doing so much. If the footage is wildly shaky then the stabilized result will probably be just as bad. The remedy is to have a steady hand when you shoot your film and support the camera with both hands. Use the inbuilt camera stabiliser if necessary, better still use a tripod. With the old type film cameras held up to ones eye and pressed against the forehead as well as being supported with the left hand results were were generally much steadier than the small flip screen digital cameras of today that have to be held out in front of you.

The deshaker filter written by Gunnar Thalin is "hard wired" into VP but is actually one of the many filters written for use with virtualdub. You can download many more filters here:-

http://www.infognition.com/VirtualDubFilters/

and use them as plugins in VP. As deshaker (stabiliser) won't work on my version of VP for some reason I generally use virtualdub if I need to stabilize anything. Although the basic deshaker settings in VP give good results you can set up the parameters for both passes of the filter yourself. If you want to understand how it functions then go here:

http://www.guthspot.se/video/deshaker.htm

Nat