loaded clip plays slower than audio

bdrummen

Hi there,

I imported a video clip into my timeline, but when I play the video, the video in the preview box

at the top can't keep up with the audio track (the audio is part of the video clip) and it moves

really really slow. Anybody know why it's doing this? Do I have to change a setting somewhere or what?

Hi

This seems to be a common problem. I am assuming you are trying to edit MPEG4 clips that have a large format...1920 x 1080 for example. NCH say its a problem linked to the performance of your PC. Apparently there is a lot of work to do to unpack and convert these large format clips for editing. Video takes time but sound doesn't. As a result the video progressivily lags further and further behind the sound.

I have the same problem and get around it with complete success by always converting my MPEG4 clips to MPEG2 format before I start editing.

Try the freeware "Any video converter".

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

Easy to use and converts all your files from a list whilst keeping the originals.

Nat

Actually, this is an .AVI clip. Also, strangely, it's not really that long, maybe a couple minutes long. I recorded it off of a

lil' Insignia HD cam and just copied over the clip to a folder and then into VP.

Should I convert the AVI to an MPEG2?? I tried converting it to an MP4 and a WMV already but that for some reason, got rid of the

sound when trying those two formats.

Well, I tried converting the AVI into an MPEG2 and, for some reason, it also gets rid of the sound when

I put into the timeline into VP. Not sure why all the conversions I'm trying are getting rid of the sound layer?!

any idea why? I notice though that the video runs smoothy when it's an mpeg2 though. Now if I could get the sound

to just stay with it....

Hi

"Well, I tried converting the AVI into an MPEG2 and, for some reason, it also gets rid of the sound when

I put into the timeline into VP"

No idea why that happens. :huh:

When you load the converted file into VP is there an audio track displayed? (ie peaks)?

If its a one off problem which you are not going to encounter a lot then you could try this...

Load your original avi clip into the VP media list. (The one that plays slow) and then right click it on the list and select "save audio track". A copy of the audio will appear on the media list.

Now add your MPEG2 conversion to the list and drag it to the sequence line.

Drag the saved avi soundtrack down to Soundtrack 1 line.

Right click the video clip on the sequence line and unlink its sound. This will drop down to Soundtrack 2.

Now LEFT click this soundtrack to nudge it slightly and then RIGHT click the track and choose "Remove the selected audio"

This should leave your MPEG2 clip with the soundtrack from the original avi clip. You may need to then juggle about a bit with the position (or the video speed) to get it into precise synchronisation.

Worth a try anyway.

Nat

That works! thanks. Although, it kinda sucks I have to go through that whole process. Do you know why

the original AVI file video part plays slowly? Is there a way to fix that without having to convert to anything I wonder..

Anyways, thanks for the workaround.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting the impression that VideoPad Video Editor CHOKES on HD video unless you convert it to MPEG2. Kinda defeats the fact that I paid money for a licensed copy to edit when the software has to be given only certain video in certain form in a certain way. Worst of all is some crap someone in a related post that said that it's YOUR machine not rendering fast enough that is the problem. Absolute crap.

Hi

"Well, I tried converting the AVI into an MPEG2 and, for some reason, it also gets rid of the sound when

I put into the timeline into VP"

No idea why that happens. :huh:

When you load the converted file into VP is there an audio track displayed? (ie peaks)?

If its a one off problem which you are not going to encounter a lot then you could try this...

Load your original avi clip into the VP media list. (The one that plays slow) and then right click it on the list and select "save audio track". A copy of the audio will appear on the media list.

Now add your MPEG2 conversion to the list and drag it to the sequence line.

Drag the saved avi soundtrack down to Soundtrack 1 line.

Right click the video clip on the sequence line and unlink its sound. This will drop down to Soundtrack 2.

Now LEFT click this soundtrack to nudge it slightly and then RIGHT click the track and choose "Remove the selected audio"

This should leave your MPEG2 clip with the soundtrack from the original avi clip. You may need to then juggle about a bit with the position (or the video speed) to get it into precise synchronisation.

Worth a try anyway.

Nat

Hi

"Worst of all is some crap someone in a related post that said that it's YOUR machine not rendering fast enough that is the problem. Absolute crap."

I have said this in previous posts when the subject has come up (and its seems to be a widespresd problem if you Google it) but I am only repeating what NCH say about it. It may be correct however (nobody has given another possible reason,) as on my PC MPEG4 HD H.264 1920 x 1080 clips playing in quicktime as well as VP (media player won't read MPEG4) show the same lag between the image and sound and this is dependant on the frame size and FPS. As the frame size reduces the lag gets less but is still there with MPEG4.

In fact with a 7 second full 1080 HD clip the sound plays for the correct time but the video plays for 15 seconds-the last 8 seconds in silence! All I know is that if I convert all the sizes to MPEG 2 the problem goes away and the clips play correctly. In the absence of any other suggestions.....

(PC is Packard Bell Intel Core2 Duo CPUE4500 running at 2.20GHz 2.0 GB RAM NVIDIA GeForce 8600GS)

Nat