VideoPad 3.34 Transitional Fade Not Working

Omnizoa

I set a fadeout for 1.5 seconds, but the clip fades out in .5 seconds and remains solid black for 1 second. How can I make the fadeout last the whole 1.5 seconds?

Does a later version solve this, and if so, how can I update to it?

Assuming that you are employing the FADE effect, use CROSSFADE instead, and see if that does the job.

You can update to the latest version by clicking this link... http://www.nchsoftwa...ad/vppsetup.exe

However, if it's been some time since you purchased 3.34, you may have to pay to retain your license/registration.

If that occurs the new install may run as a crippled trial version. Retain your 3.34 installer as a back up, just in case.

HI

" I set a fadeout for 1.5 seconds, but the clip fades out in .5 seconds and remains solid black for 1 second. How can I make the fadeout last the whole 1.5 seconds?"

With version 3.6 ( the closest I have ..but this will work in later versions as well) a 1.5 sec FADE applied to the last clip on the sequence is lasts 1.5 seconds but becomes black too soon as you have noted. This probably due to the way the number of frames available are darkened, the range being too short. I think this has been altered in later versions.

The way around this is......

Place a BLACK BLANK CLIP onto Video Track 2 (the overlay track)

Adjust the duration of the clip to 1.5 seconds. (Either drag the ends in to match the time scale over the track or set default image to 1.5 sec beforehand in Options/Media)

Move the blank frame along Track2 until it ends where your main sequence line ends

Right click the blank and select Effects.

Choose the Transparency effect.

In the effects window move the preview scrubber bar to the start of the clip and adjust the slider to 0% Opacity.

Click the green cross to set the keyframe.

Slide the scrubber bar to the end of the clip and adjust the slider to read 100% opacity.

The blue line will now be a diagonal line from bottom left to top right of the keyframe box as shown below.

l2od510uic.jpg

Click the Apply button.

When you play your sequence now the fade will be 1.5 seconds and will finish black on the last frame.

Nat

Assuming that you are employing the FADE effect, use CROSSFADE instead, and see if that does the job.

You can update to the latest version by clicking this link... http://www.nchsoftwa...ad/vppsetup.exe

Crossfade didn't behave any differently for me. Also, I'm running on a Mac, so an .exe won't work for me. Do you have a Mac version I can update to?

The way around this is......

Place a BLACK BLANK CLIP onto Video Track 2 (the overlay track)

Adjust the duration of the clip to 1.5 seconds. (Either drag the ends in to match the time scale over the track or set default image to 1.5 sec beforehand in Options/Media)

Move the blank frame along Track2 until it ends where your main sequence line ends

Right click the blank and select Effects.

Choose the Transparency effect.

In the effects window move the preview scrubber bar to the start of the clip and adjust the slider to 0% Opacity.

Click the green cross to set the keyframe.

Slide the scrubber bar to the end of the clip and adjust the slider to read 100% opacity.

The blue line will now be a diagonal line from bottom left to top right of the keyframe box as shown below.

Thank you very much. I don't have a "Transparency" effect, but I did have an "Opacity" effect that accomplished the same thing, so thank you very much for a providing a less than convoluted solution. I was worried I'd have to use some bizarre roundabout fix.

Hi

The Transparency effect (as per my post) is the one you want, and labelled as such in the Effects pane of my Windows version of VP.

Oddly the slider for this is labelled "Opacity" which, although it means and works in the inverse manner has the same effect. It's a slight anomaly which might be confusing. I should think it's a pretty simple change to make the labels the same. The inference from your post is that the Mac version is consistantly labelled. <_<

Anyway,using "Opacity" (or "Transparency" :) ) is the road to go down if the regular FADE effect is too quick.

Nat

Nat's method is a good one.

When I apply a 1.5 FADE to a single three-second image, it goes to full black in slightly more than .5, as Omnizoa noted.

But when I instead use CROSSFADE, the fade extends to just under 1.5 seconds - as desired. Interestingly, the usual fade

line on the timeline does not appear when CF is used. This is 3.81 on a PC.

It's best to start a new thread - with a descriptive subject line. But now that we're here...

You can create multiple sequences, then FILE|SAVE AS a .vpj file. To create a new sequence click the + to the right of "SequenceX" just above the timeline. OPEN that .vpj file later and the sequences should be restored, including files (clips) that you imported to bins but that were not loaded into any sequence. Test this - for familiarity and accuracy.

Careful, though. after specifying a new sequence, and importing new files, I've seen VP unnecessarily double-import them into bins.

And sequence thumbnails in the bin area may not reflect what's in that a particular sequence. Clicking a sequence just above the timeline will load the correct clips for that sequence, however.

Back up project files via the FILE menu, for safety and centralized retrieval.

If you want to export a sequence, and later load it (as just another clip) I suggest using a format as close to the original clip format as possible. Others may chime in with better suggestions.