Deshaker Configuration

GDGerlach344

I'm using VideoPad v 3.51 and cannot seem to find the deshaker configuration settings uder "options" as described in other threads. The options window contains these tabs: Display, media, editing, export, disk. Nothing there about the deshaker. How do I configure the deshaker option?

From the HELP file...

Video stabilization eliminates camera shakiness and makes panning, rotation and zooming smoother.

To apply video stabilization:

• Right click on a video clip in a bin and select Stabilize Video...
  • Select Effects -> Stabilize Video...

This will create a new video file. Once conversion has finished, you will have the option of using the stabilized clip instead of the original clip, or adding the stabilized clip to the bin as a new clip.

VideoPad implements video stabilization using the Deshaker filter, by Gunnar Thalin.

Hi

I am pretty sure that you cannot reconfigure the stabilisation plugin settings from within VP as the parameters are preset to the optimum. Neither can add Deshaker as a "new" plugin which might have allowed you to use all the settings as it won't be recognised. However you can use the stabilisation program (Deshaker) with your own parameters if you use it via the Virtual Dub program.

An explanation for the many settings can be obtained if you press F1 whilst in Videopad and scroll down to the Transitions section.

Click the Stabilisation option and then the link to Deshaker.

This will bring up a page from the Virtualdub site that explains the settings.

If you want to use these then load your video into Virtual dub making sure you have both before and after screens visible and then add the deshaker plugin. Configure the settings as you wish for pass 1 and pass 2 then dub your clip. You will see each frame being examined and data being collected on the frame adjustment values. Reset the slider back to the start and run the second pass. This will then apply the adjustments previously saved during pass 1 to each frame. You can now save your deshaken clip as an avi file. This can be quite a large file.

Load this back into VP and clean up any borders that may be visible with either the Border effect or the Crop effect.

Nat

Nationalsolo, I'm very familiar with the Deshaker Virtual Dub plugin and all of the various settings. The big drawback to using deshaker in Virtual dub is that you cannot batch deshake. Apparently, you can with VideoPad... or so I read on another blog. I haven't tried batch deshaking in VideoPad yet. Have you? Very curious as to whether this is even possible. I did find some older forum posts that said you could access deshaker settings by going to a Deshaker tab in the options window; however, that tab no longer exists. So I'm wondering if the VideoPad authors took it out or moved it.

Hi

You are correct, Virtual dub will only deal with one clip at a time but you do have control over the settings. Also, as you point out, earlier versions of VP would allow you to customise your deshaker settings which could be accessed from the Options screen under Plugin filters.

You also had some ctrol over the quality of the output avi.. default quality, premium quality and custom settings, but these referred to the resolution settings according to the type of output format and not the deshaker parameters .

You could also group videos for stabilisation and this IS still possible. In the latest version of VP (3.51), if you go into the media files bin and LIST the entries you can still select multiple clips for stabilisation using the shift key. However the Plugins tab in the options screen no longer appears and so it seems that you cannot change the settings.

Nat

That's what I thought. Wonder why they decided to quit showing the options. Maybe it was too complicated for some users and they got tired of answering questions about it. I'm a professional video producer/editor so it was pretty easy for me to figure everything out.

• 9 months later...

1200 views up to now ... This is (about) the 3rd most popular topic .

Most people came here to find some 'Deshaker Configuration' but discovered that there is NO configuration :( .

NCH should enrich Deshaker configuration (and upgrade current Deshaker version) ... by popular demand !.

Hi

It's a rather old post now.

In version 4.0 you CAN stabilize multiple clips. You just have to select them all from the media list window (using Shift) and take the Stabilize Videos option.

However, even without the option to set up the parameters for Pass1 and Pass 2. of the Deshaker plugin which are available in Virtualdub, the feature as implemented in Videopad works extremely well and for general shakiness the differences between disparate frames is well corrected and no black borders are seen. (Adaptive zoom is possibly set??) Even the virtual dub plugin defaults work well.

If your videoing is so shaky however that frames move about wildly then black borders will be present with the VP settings despite any adaptive zoom present,

If this is the case you can, if you feel it necessary examine each section of such clips after being deshaken and zoom each clip further using the VP effect to remove any black borders that remain. However I would think that if this was necessary then the clips must have been very bady shaken indeed and no amount of "deshaking" would improve matters.

The answer is to use a tripod wherever possible. :unsure:

Nat

Thank you for your prompt answer . Nice tip using zoom manually.

I also tested the same 'shaky' video using the old APE 11 stabilizer (Adobe Premiere Effects) , AVS VE 6.x , Mercalli 3.x sal.

VP was the only program that displayed black borders :( .

I try to use a monopod (as a tripod) but for home/amateur videos even this is not always easy as you try to 'capture the moment' :) .

Mike