Express Scribe/Switch and MAC OS X version 10.2.8

lorriksmith

I have a PC at home that I work on for a business that I do transcription for and also manage. When I have to go to the office, where we have Macs, I cannot get these programs to work. I was finally able to get Switch to convert a WAV file to an MP3 and ES played it. I was excited! Then I tried to load a DVF file into Switch to convert and had no success. I also tried playing it as is in ES, but it won't load it.

Can someone please help me? The owner of the business that I manage is going away next month, and I'll be doing my managing from the office on the Macs. Thanks!

The DVF audio format is unfortunately Windows specific due to third party support and licensing issues from Sony. This is Sony's issue and out of our hands. An alternate solution is to do the conversion on a Windows machine and then load this back to the Mac. You can pick up an old PC for literally cents these days, it just may take a little longer to complete the conversion!

I guess that's what I'll have to do. I'll see if I have any issues with other files, such as WMA. I hope not. Thanks!

The DVF audio format is unfortunately Windows specific due to third party support and licensing issues from Sony. This is Sony's issue and out of our hands. An alternate solution is to do the conversion on a Windows machine and then load this back to the Mac. You can pick up an old PC for literally cents these days, it just may take a little longer to complete the conversion!

I was wrong to be hopeful. Now I have found that I also cannot load WMA files, unless I'm doing something wrong. I've put it in a folder, just as I did the WAV file that I was able to load and play. Nothing happens. Any suggestions?

Well, I attempted to convert the WMA my client sent using Switch, but I get a message telling me I have to download Flip4Mac plugin from Microsoft's website. The trouble is that I can't install that, as it requires an OS version of 10.3.9 or later. I don't know if there is another program out there that will allow me to do what I need to do or not, but I guess I'll have to continue looking. I'm so pleased with the Express Scribe and Switch programs on my PC at home, but I guess I'd better not tell my business acquaintances on Macs to jump in yet. Thanks.