Problem creating video

cbreemer

I have a problem with a video I just created. The resulting mp4 file has a duration of 1h 28m, and it runs fine until at about 1h 15m the screen suddenly goes black, while the audio keeps on playing. I tried with three different video players, it's the same everywhere. The video is fine when run within VideoPad, so something has gone awry in the generating process. I don't think this video project is especially large, it consists of 22 mp4 files, 22 mp3 file, and 27 images, with minimal editing. The total size of the video is 2.1Gb. The creation process took a whopping 32 minutes, during which all CPU temperatures reached into the 80 Celcius - despite some measures I took to try and limit CPU usage (I think none of these had any effect really). Those temperatures were a bit scary, and I was very glad when the creation had completed - only to find the video faulty. Damn ! Now what to do ?

Share the project for analysis.

And install the current 64-bit release.  For one-time licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee is required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.  If there's an issue, you can always revert.

To share your project just follow these steps closely...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  Right-click the file and click SHARE. When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Posted (edited)

Actually, the latest greatest version has done the job ! Previously I was on 13.67. The video was now created correctly, though it was really scary to see all my CPU's on 85 Celcius for so long 😧 I don't understand why Videopad causes so much heat. I'll need to get back to that but for now I'm very relieved that the project has successfully completed 😊

Thanks for your quick support as always!

Edited by cbreemer
add thanks

19 hours ago, borate said:

What are your system's specs:  CPU/GPU/available RAM?

Model:          Intel NUC12WSHi7
CPU:            12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1260P, 2100 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS:           Intel Corp. WSADL357.0090.2023.0821.1714, 21/08/2023
Motherboard:    Intel NUC12WSHi7 version M46422-304
Memory:         64Gb
Graphics:       Onboard Intel Iris Xe Graphics
OS:             Microsoft Windows 11 Pro Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621
Disk 1:         Adata Legend 710 2Tb SSD
Disk 2:         PNY CS9000 2Tb SSD

I have read somewhere, more than once IIRC, that these micro PCs do have a tendency to get rather hot under the collar. Although I would assume it takes more than a simple video project for that. On the plus side, it seems to hold well even while all CPU cores are reported by Speedfan to be 80+ Celcius for half an hour 😧

19 hours ago, borate said:

File types, encoding, project length can all have a bearing on PC load.  Share the project and we'll take a look.

I found that the exact same issue appears with a very small video as well. The size or complexity does not seem to be a factor at all. Here is a shared OneDrive link to that project - I hope it works. I'm interested what you can say about it. It might just be that my PC isn't up to it.

videopad-backup

Thanks for sharing.

Nothing taxing for this Windows 11 Pro i7 PC with 32GB RAM.

During caching CPU and GPU averaged 30 and 55% respectively.

During PV playback CPU and GPU readings were 2-4% or lower.

On export, which took five seconds, CPU never peaked above 7% and GPU averaged 25%.  The water cooler ramped up only slightly.

Check taskmanager to see your performance.  <ctrl-shift-esc> 

image.png

In Videopad OPTIONS | ADVANCED, confirm that the GPU setting is listed as default.  image.png

A good video card can make a significant difference.  Here it's an eight-year old low-end gaming class NVidia GTX1060 which runs about $75, used.

Thanks for having a look. No, I would not have thought this tiny project should be in any way challenging. I'm beginning to wonder if the onboard graphics card is at all suitable for video editing. I checked the GPU setting and indeed it was set to Default. For fun, I changed it to Intel Iris Xe Graphics and recreated the video. It seems like the system did not get quite as hot, though the difference was not really significant.

For more fun, I changed it to None (CPU only) and tried again. Not a whole lot of difference but then I throttled the videopad.exe process with Efficiency Mode and lowest priority (which up to now had made zero difference) and this now gave a significant improvement, core temperatures staying typically in the 60-70 range. So I think this is what I'll use when creating a long video - even if it's slower of course. 

But I now have some doubts whether this mini PC has been a good choice given that creating videos is just about its most important task. Apparently it's an option to attach an eGPU on the Thunderbolt port but these things are quite pricey and (not being a gamer) it seems ridiculous that I should need one just to comfortable create a Youtube video.

As an operation is being performed - export, for example - check the taskmanager by clicking <ctrl-shift-esc>.

If there's little or no GPU activity, this tends to confirm that the onboard adapter is not utilizing full VP potential.

If you have the time, inclination and resources to submit a typical long project, please share it.  Step-by-step instructions above, in earlier reply.

Thanks, I did not know Task Manager could monitor GPU activity. The value hovered between 20 and 28 while creating the video I shared. I have no idea how to interpret this.

25% GPU on export echoes what was seen here, so that's good.

You might have a computer tech take a look at power management settings in the PC BIOS for the possibility of lessening the heating issue.