Question on how to edit a video

John Berg

I'm brand new to Video Pad but I have been struggling for over an hour trying to figure this out.  I basically want to know how to edit segments out of an MP4 video.  I have some video files that have commercials in them and I simply want to be able to clip these segments out of the video and delete them.  Nothing I have tried is working.  I've followed several instructions through the NCH tutorials and even though  I follow these to the letter the video segment never gets deleted.  Needless to say, I have become very frustrated with this aspect of the software.  Can someone give me some basic instructions to follow in order to do this?  I've been trying to use the set start and set stop buttons as well as the delete sequence actions on the menu but nothing actually allows me to delete the segments I am marking.  Thanks.

*One way, with a clip on the timeline...

Split at the IN point, split at the OUT point.  Right-click in the split-out area (which is now a new clip) and Delete (ripple).  Or select the new clip and press DEL on your keyboard.  The split scissors icon may be in a slightly different place, depending upon the version.  If a gap appears, right-click in the gap and Close Gap.

*Another way, with the clip in the bin (not yet on the timeline)...

Right-click on the clip and COPY.  Right-click in an empty area of the bin and click PASTE (Clip/s).  Do this for as many deletions as desired.                                        Each will have a incremental #.

Don't touch the original bin clip.  Instead, use the Set Start and Set End Buttons for each copy to isolate the video that is to be used.
Then select one or more clips and drag them to the timeline in the order desired.  Or right-click on each clip and click a Place option...

image.png

This still isn't working for me.  I'm not seeing the same type of screen as you have shown in your snapshot.  I am basically opening the file in the media bin then double clicking on it.  It then puts me into the Clip Preview tab where I presume I should be able to edit it.  Here, I am able to drag the red line over to where I want to start and end the cut.  But nothing happens when I click on the scissors icon.  I tried the steps you gave me but nothing ever happens and I also never see the trash (delete) icon either.  I don't ever see a screen appear below the file I am attempting to edit such as you have shown in your example.  Is there some mode I should be in for editing that I am missing.  Sorry to seem so dumb about it but I've only been using the software for a day now and it just does not seem that intuitive to me.  

Something isn't right.

This video uses method #2.  If more than one trim is to be made for a single clip, follow the COPY/PASTE procedure outlined above.

Or drag the clip to the timeline and make splits there, as shown in the earlier video.  Click in the newly split-out area (which is essentially a new clip) and press DEL on the keyboard or right-click in that area and choose DELETE (ripple).  If a gap appears, right-click in it and Close Gap.

If still no joy, try grabbing a screen shot or two of what you see.  Upload the file/s to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, right-click the link and Share.  Copy the result and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.  When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view.

That makes a difference.  Here's the latest Mac release.  Download, unzip and install.   Ignore any virus warnings.

It may be the version you now have, but a reinstall won't hurt.  If no change, please try to share a screenshot or two of what you see.

I think this is the same version I have been using.  But here is what is happening now.  I'm launching Video Pad from Debut by clicking on the edit button.  Debut is where my video files are saved.  The video file I am trying to edit shows up in the media bin in Video Pad.  I open the file by double clicking on it but it does not automatically show up in the sequence window.  I am now in the Clip window.  I then set the start and end markers on the segment of the file that I want to delete and click on the scissors icon.  At this point I am then selecting the Place on Sequence option from the Clip menu.  The clip then appears on the sequence window.  I then select Delete Clip from the Edit menu because this is the end section of the video.  I then see a message that says No Sequence.  The clip disappears but there is no longer any file in the window.  At this point I think I should save a file somehow but it is unclear what I am trying to save.  The Save Project menu gives me an option to save a project but it is not an mp4 format.  If I go back to the file in the media bin it just shows the original file with the start/stop markers I have set.  I don't think it should have to be this hard to do a basic editing function.

The simplest way to accomplish what you want may be to drag the file from the bin to the timeline.  Then split at the IN and the OUT points of the commercials.  Click in those split-out areas and press the DEL key on the keyboard.  Export the result as a Video file in the mp4 format.

In order to see the timeline clips individually you may have to expand the timeline, using the slider at the bottom-right of the window...image.png.  To position the clips use the horizontal scrollbar at the bottom... image.png

Some insights...

Once a clip is imported into the media bin (top-left) it stays there.  After being placed on the sequence, whether via method 1 or 2 above, it can be further trimmed if need be.  Effects, transitions, etc. can be added.  Don't delete the clip in the bin.  In most cases it's not affected by changes made to it on the timeline.

Save Project or Save Project AS creates a VPJ file that instructs the program what to do.  Do not move or delete any source files.  For your protection, Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the caret to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

It's this file that can restore the project at a later date - your project protection.  A VPJ file cannot be played.

Exporting is an entirely different operation.  It creates a playable file from the clips on the sequence.  Export choices are available from the toolbar and via the top-left Menu.

image.png

If you want an mp4 format file choose Video File.  This window appears...image.png

The defaults are often fine, but can be changed to any number of formats, resolutions and frame rates.  Auto Match is a best guess, based upon content.

I finally got it to work using the "simplest" approach you mentioned in your previous response.  I appreciate all the help you have given me.  I will say that I spent many frustrated hours trying to get to this point and the actual method was nothing close to any of the tutorials, nor is this intuitive by any means.  I hope this information trickles down to those who make the tutorials because editing segments out of a video file is not very well covered.  The methodology could be more intuitive from a developer standpoint.  In any case, thanks again for helping me work through this.

Glad it worked out.  Yet another very simple way to delete a portion of a clip...

Place the cursor (red line) at the start of the commercial.

Place the mouse pointer on the cursor line and drag to the right - to the point when the commercial ends.  This creates a blue selection area.

Press the DEL key or right-click in the selected area and Delete.

If you make a mistake, press <ctrl-Z> to go back, step-by-step.

There are many VP tutorials on YouTube, created by users.  Search for them.