Cross Fade problem

Phil Rose

Hi all, I have two clips. Both have space before they cut in to add a fade. I click on the little icon and choose a time but all the fade appears before the cut and then, during the cross fade, the image from the second clip is frozen until the fade is complete. You can see that the second clip is frozen until fully faded in. Why would that be and can it be avoided in any way other than putting it on a separate track?

Thanks for any help and I hope this makes sense.

Phil

If the clips are on track 1, switch to Storyboard mode and verify that there is no gap between them.  If there is, right-click in that gap and Close Gap.

A crossfade between the clips should work if the clip lengths are long enough to accommodate the fade.

If the FROM clip has no excess video after its end point and the TO clip has none prior to its in point, then there's no video to accommodate the fade.  The result will be a freeze.  To counter that, go to OPTIONS | EDITING tab and for the transition choice choose Ask Me.  You should then see this pop up when applying the fade...

image.png

Choose Overlap.  Be aware that this can throw audio out of sync if the audio track isn't linked to video.

If this doesn't explain the issue, share the project so it can be analyzed.  Mention specifically how the crossfade has been applied,

The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps closely...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  Right-click the file and click SHARE. When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Thanks so much for this. I tried what you suggested to no avail and so have uploaded it here

Actually, this is just a new, test piece I did specifically. 

• I dragged the first piece on.
  • I dragged from the right hand end so there would be spare footage before the end of the clip.
  • I dragged the second piece on
  • I dragged from the left hand end so there would be spare footage before the beginning of the clip.
  • I clicked on Add Video Transition on the timeline, between the two clips. I chose Cross Fade.
  • The grey line is only shown on the end of the  first clip. The second clip is frozen until the transition ends and then starts playing.

Thanks and I look forward to your thoughts. I appreciate your time.

Phil

What version of VP is being used?  Try this one.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee is required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.  If there's an issue, you can always revert.

As the project stands now, expand the timeline with the slider at the bottom-right.  Click the transition X icon between the clips and choose No Transition.  Now open the transition box once again and apply the Crossfade.  In the future...

Try this method to construct the two clips.  Select clip 1 in the bin.  In the preview window move the red cursor to the desired in position and Set Start.

Move to the desired out position and click Set End.  Now add the clip to the timeline.  Do the same with clip 2.  Then add the Crossfade.

Hi, it is the brand new V16 that I bought yesterday. I have just tried doing it on V15 that I have on my other laptop and it works perfectly. I am now going to upgrade this machine and see if it still does it correctly or not.

-0-

I just upgraded to the latest V16 on this (the other) laptop and it still works perfectly. I opened the piece I uploaded and did as you suggest, I zoomed in on the transition, hit the X, hit No Transition, hit it again, hit cross fade and it put the transition straddling the cut and fades as I would want it to so it is just happening on my machine at home. I wonder what could possibly cause it on one machine but not the other. Could there be a preference?

Thanks. I'm home now and just tried repairing the program (go to uninstall and then repair) to no avail. I will now totally remove it and reinstall but I don't have high hopes. Any other thoughts would be so welcome as this is my more powerful machine and I want to be able to use it.

Well, that cured it. Uninstalled, reinstalled and now it works. I wonder what it was.