Videopad won't make video the same quality as DVD source

gmann

I've created a video edited from a DVD rip. When I export it, the resulting video is more pixelly than the source file (the rip of the DVD). I enter the same quality/bitrate, I've tried entering a higher bitrate, I've tried different file formats but it doesn't work. The DVD source file is M4V.

How do I make a video from this DVD rip that matches the quality?

What version of VP is being used?

Let's see the ripped project.  That's the best way to track down issues.  Just follow these steps to the letter.  It's easy, quick and can be done privately...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  Right-click the file and click SHARE. When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Can't tell much without seeing the project.  You can submit it privately via a Private Message.  Click the folder at the top-right here and message "borate."

This is the rip of the film:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V4l0bduEbvUrExwVzwBh5L0pY-_mpUIL/view?usp=drive_link

Here's the videopad project:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FwP-diEwa91qy56hNftzeKXS_tPUaQVk/view?usp=drive_link

-0-

I can now watch the Google Drive upload of the ripped film. It's only showing it in 360p, it's much lower quality than my file on my computer.

-0-

OK, here's a screencap of the rip: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MxKh4mMBqo1qAslsha_PUvUsEypgptrE/view?usp=drive_link

And here's a screencap of the export: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Muiv1IfGonRe4seX2BO-N2CPfXMZOX15/view?usp=drive_link

Don't judge it by the Google viewer.  The file Width: 720 pixels,  Height: 576 pixels.

Exported from Videopad with default quality, 25fps pal at 1028x576 suggested resolution, quality difference seems negligible, IMO.  There's a slight contrast ratio variance.  Higher quality settings might bring a better result.  You also might try matching the import res of 720x576.

The VPJ file is not the project folder, which results from following the instructions above.  But in this case that's not necessary as the file is the sole source.

Grab from original...   image.png

Grab from export...    image.png

Another NLE...image.png

The images above look just fine here.  The export was processed in version 16.09.  Bitrate was much higher with Highest Quality settings, but the video was similar.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee is required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.  If there's an issue, you can always revert.

Looks as if that's about the best that can be done.

I just tried clicking Higher Quality. It is a bit better but still not quite the same. I see that it sets it to a bit rate of 10500 kbps. The bit of the DVD rip is around 3100kbps.

I have played around with bitrate settings in the past and I seemed like it wasn't necessary to vastly exceed the bit rate of the source. By default I use 2500kbps, unless I use sources with higher bitrates. I make videos for Youtube that use numerous videos sources, usually they're downloaded from Youtube videos or captures from streaming services like Prime.

I have bought a newer (not brand new, refurbished) computer recently and I noticed when I used videopad on it, it seemed export videos made from DVD rips at a lower quality.

But notice how your export pic isn't as good as the source. The colour of the signboard is noticeably different.

Well, it's subjective.

To my eyes and monitor the res is almost identical. 

As noted, the export gamma appears to be slightly higher than the original, so the signboard is lighter in the export.  This may account for the differences that you see.

Just for kicks, an image from another NLE was added to those posted above.

Write the company with your observations.