Preview breaks when I add a text layer.

Whenever I add text, an image, or a solid color as an overlay to the timeline, the preview freezes, is choppy, but the audio plays as if the clip is fine. Also, whenever I try to move the text after I've typed it, the editor freezes and is extremely slow for about five minutes. Checked task manager while this happens, and VideoPad is using around 40% CPU, 400MB of RAM and barely any GPU. I have set VideoPad to render with my GPU, so that's not the issue.

The one thing I have noticed is that whenever I make one of these changes, my SSD's active time spikes to 100% for a while.. This is not a problem with my drive as I have had no issues with it with any other editors.

This is making it impossible to use this software, as I can't add any overlays to my project. I'm using the latest version and have a professional license key. This problem has been persisting for months, now. Would appreciate any help as I need to get this project done soon. I've attached a link to a recording of what I'm experiencing here. I've also included my PC specifications below.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X

GPU: RTX 3070

32GB DDR4 3600mhz RAM

Installed on an M.2 SSD with over 1TB of free space left.

No link seen in your post.  Share the project, if possible, per the instructions below.  That's the best way to track down issues.

Install this version, and see if that makes a difference.  The Default for the GPU is fine, but you can also experiment with the None (CPU only) option.

Sharing the project is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  Right-click the file and click SHARE. When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

Thanks.  Spotted it.  We'll check it out.

Did you test the linked VP version?  Have you tried the None (CPU only) option?

Looked pretty good using the slightly older 16.09 (64-bit) release.  When downloading, ignore any virus warnings.

Allow the project to fully cache.  The ribbon under the preview will turn gray...

image.thumb.png.661645466be0161d64f1c524

That done, still see some freezing towards the end, unless PV is repeatedly stopped/started.

If changes are made, such as moving an overlay, some re-caching will occur, but still may be playable in PV during that period.

GPU registered up to 100% during this process, at certain times.  On export it was in the 60-75% range.

Check your PM for the output, which was made at 854x480 res.

Two things you might try, to lessen demand on resources...

Break up the project into smaller segments, export each, then assemble those exports for the final.

Or you might create proxies of the two large files and use them in editing.  See the Proxy Editing FAQ above.  That is a technique that's commonly used to speed and smooth editing while lessening PC resource demands.

So I tried both of your suggestions.

Using the 64-bit version did not seem to help. Whenever text is overlayed, the preview is horribly choppy before and during the text overlay. As soon as the marker gets past the text though, it's fine. But it's extremely difficult to edit the text and give it effects and whatnot while this is happening.

As for the second suggestion, toggling the CPU Only option makes it way worse. The app freezes randomly for almost a minute at a time, and it takes forever to completely render and process the timeline. Did not fix the issue, either.

I uploaded a clip of what happens with and without the text overlay here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iOEE7OxjlXHbH3ZZz3SBhlcsnJVClV0A/view?usp=sharing

Which 64-bit version - 16.14 or 16.09 (the latest link)?  You video indicates 16.14.

It's not unusual for it to "build preview" after making changes, as it re-caches.

The solution to that on a lengthy project is to use low-res proxies for large files.

That was with the 16.14 version. I'm waiting for 16.09 to cache.

-0-

Alright, got to test it. Still having the issue.

What bothers me is that this issue is recent. I didn't used to have this problem with VideoPad in the past.

-0-

Also just now tried your suggestion of proxy editing. Still having this issue. This is clearly not an issue of demanding resources, this is a bug.

Perhaps you were using a different version in the past?  Can't truly replicate the issue here, using 16.09.

Check the PM for two proxies just created of the large mp4 files.  Substitute them for the editing process, as outlined in the Proxy Editing FAQ, and see how it goes.

The thread has been brought to the attention of the developers.