Express Talk 3.0 Released!

Guest nchto

Here is our Halloween surprise...

Express Talk 3.0 has been released!

This release adds video support to Express Talk, primarily using the H263 codec. A separate free floating window shows the video received from the other part while you broadcast from your selected camera. There is a new Video tab in Options to select the device and other settings. You can get this release now directly from the Express Talk website: www.nch.com.au/talk.

To fully utilise this new softphone, have a look at the Express USB Video Phones available from: www.altoedge.com/usbphones.

This release adds video support to Express Talk, primarily using the H263 codec. A separate free floating window shows the video received from the other part while you broadcast from your selected camera. There is a new Video tab in Options to select the device and other settings. You can get this release now directly from the Express Talk website: www.nch.com.au/talk.

To fully utilise this new softphone, have a look at the Express USB Video Phones available from: www.altoedge.com/usbphones.

That's great news. Any news on when the Windows Mobile version will be released?

Great news :)

I just have a couple of questions?

Does the video feature work when using Axon. (e.g. can one extension (using Talk) video call another Axon extension (also using Talk)? Or is it just Talk to Talk?)

What sort of compatibility is expected in terms of video calling other non-Talk VoIP users (i.e. users with other video enabled VoIP hardware/software)

H263 better than G726 ?

H.263 is related to video while G.726 is audio, so one can't be 'better' than the other.

Does the video feature work when using Axon. (e.g. can one extension (using Talk) video call another Axon extension (also using Talk)? Or is it just Talk to Talk?)

Unfortunately it doesn't work with Axon yet... we've been told a new version will be released shortly to address this, I believe it is only a trivial fix. As for SIP support, it does work with most providers such as Call Centric, but it apparently doesn't work with BBPGlobal. We've put a support request in with them to find what's happening and as such may have a new version out to address some of these issues.

What sort of compatibility is expected in terms of video calling other non-Talk VoIP users (i.e. users with other video enabled VoIP hardware/software)

It it compliant with the current standards, so it should work fine with other devices that support video. We've tested it with X-Lite and it works fine.

Nchto,

I notice that you have answered another query but not yet mine.

The PPC version is still v1.0 even though the banner on your website says "New Release. ExpressTalk now on Pocket PC". When is an update expected for the Pocket PC?

I've asked the developers and they said they'll be working on the new version shortly now that Express Talk is out of the way, however they wouldn't give me a release date. It depends on what other projects they must complete first, which I don't know.

So the answer to "When is an update expected for the Pocket PC?" is when it's ready.

I've asked the developers and they said they'll be working on the new version shortly now that Express Talk is out of the way, however they wouldn't give me a release date. It depends on what other projects they must complete first, which I don't know.

So the answer to "When is an update expected for the Pocket PC?" is when it's ready.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any documentation on the video? There is NONE in the help file. I have a camera installed that I know works but I don't see any 'free floating window' when I open the phone. I have installed it on 2 computers and still nothing.

Dfritz

Check the Video tab within the Express Talk, is your camera listed there? The video window only appears if both parties and their SIP providers support video. If it doesn't appear then it isn't supported.

Check the Video tab within the Express Talk, is your camera listed there? The video window only appears if both parties and their SIP providers support video. If it doesn't appear then it isn't supported.

I did get it working last night. I was expecting a window to pop up to show my camera output so I could make sure I stay in frame. I have seen this feature on other softphones. My fault. I did notice however that during a conversation, the lag time in my voice continues to build the longer I talk. It starts at a couple tenths of a second but may build to a full second or more after a couple of minutes. I assume this is a CallCentric problem but is there a way to prevent that. There is NO documentation on the video as to how it works or what to expect. In fact most of your documentation is good unless you don't understand something. Then you just explain the basics but not how to fix it. That makes me have to think and I don't like that. Thanx for the help.

Don