Hot Key problems

TOI

Hi

I recently installed a new Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboard. I have also got a new computer using Vista and would like to start setting up Quick Parts, which is an expander but this needs the F keys to work. Now when I use ExpressScribe and try to use my keyboard F keys, ExpressScribe thinks I want to Play, Rewind, or Stop! What I actually want to do is to expand with just a few keystrokes. I have gone onto the Settings, Control, and Hot Keys and tried the Remove button, but this does absolutely nothing. Please help me turn off the default settings that are assigning my keys. Thanks.

Marie

Hi

I recently installed a new Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboard. I have also got a new computer using Vista and would like to start setting up Quick Parts, which is an expander but this needs the F keys to work. Now when I use ExpressScribe and try to use my keyboard F keys, ExpressScribe thinks I want to Play, Rewind, or Stop! What I actually want to do is to expand with just a few keystrokes. I have gone onto the Settings, Control, and Hot Keys and tried the Remove button, but this does absolutely nothing. Please help me turn off the default settings that are assigning my keys. Thanks.

Marie

Hi Marie,

Did you select each hotkey individually and then click remove?

Good luck!

You can remove the global hotkeys from within Express Scribe which will stop it interfering with other programs. The shortcut keys will still work however when the program open is the active window. Try having another text editing program (such as notepad) open and see if you're able to use your F keys then.

• 9 months later...

I'm also having trouble with my hot keys. They interfere with another program that I want to use simultaneously. I've tried "selecting the hot key individually and clicking remove" but nothing happens when I do that. I use a foot pedal and don't need the hot keys active. "Remove" seems to do nothing. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

V.G. Crosby

Hi

Marie

Hi Marie, I also have the Microsoft Ergonomic 4000. Love it. Am also trying to remove hot keys because they interfere with another program. Hope you have some luck figuring it out. I've added my post to request help on removing or disabling hot keys so hope someone can help us out!

V.G. Crosby

I have gone onto the Settings, Control, and Hot Keys and tried the Remove button, but this does absolutely nothing.

When you say it does "nothing", does that mean the hot-keys are still visible in the list? Do they reappear in the list next time you open Scribe?

There was a bug in older Scribe installers on Windows Vista that would add the default hot-keys in such a way that you could only delete them if you ran the application as administrator. (Right click on the Express Scribe shortcut and select "Run as administrator"). Might be worth a try.

NB: NCH doesn't recommend using "Run as administrator" for normal usage, so make sure you quit Scribe straight away and run it again normally after you try this work-around.

When you say it does "nothing", does that mean the hot-keys are still visible in the list? Do they reappear in the list next time you open Scribe?

There was a bug in older Scribe installers on Windows Vista that would add the default hot-keys in such a way that you could only delete them if you ran the application as administrator. (Right click on the Express Scribe shortcut and select "Run as administrator"). Might be worth a try.

NB: NCH doesn't recommend using "Run as administrator" for normal usage, so make sure you quit Scribe straight away and run it again normally after you try this work-around.

Hey, I think that did it! I ran it as administrator and when I clicked the hot key and hit remove, it actually removed it! Before, when I tried to remove it, the "remove" button closed, but the key was still there. Thank you so much!

V.G. Crosby

• 4 months later...

Hi, I have been using Express Scribe with the F keys instead of foot pedal for almost 2 years. The keys were working fine yesterday, when I apparently hit some kind of combination of keys and now the F keys will not play, stop, rewind, or do anything. I have even removed and downloaded the software again. I removed the keys and reset the defaults. Still they don't work. I am using a Microsoft 4000 ergo keyboard and up till yesterday the F keys worked fine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

• 1 month later...