Non-administrators open CDA files

llewald

I have some users that need to transcribe CDA files. They are not administrators of the machine. And, as a policy, most non-IT users are not administrators. I have tried giving them full-control to the NCH Swift Sound directory and registry keys. Is there a way around this?

Have a read of: http://www.nch.com.au/kb/10008.html.

Enable CD Ripping/Burning for Restricted Users

Windows 2000/XP does not allow CD Ripping/Burning for restricted users. This is a deliberate security decision by Microsoft, but many restricted users desire the ability to perform these functions.

Windows 2000

The only solution is to log on as an Administrator user.

Windows XP

You can change the group policy settings to allow this. You must log on as an Administrator user to change this setting.

1. Run gpedit.msc (via Start menu, Run..)
  2. Select the following: Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options
  3. Enable the option 'Devices: Restrict CD-Rom access to locally logged-on user only.'

You should now reboot your PC. Restricted users can now rip/burn CDs.

Have a read of: http://www.nch.com.au/kb/10008.html.

Enable CD Ripping/Burning for Restricted Users

Windows 2000/XP does not allow CD Ripping/Burning for restricted users. This is a deliberate security decision by Microsoft, but many restricted users desire the ability to perform these functions.

Windows 2000

The only solution is to log on as an Administrator user.

Windows XP

You can change the group policy settings to allow this. You must log on as an Administrator user to change this setting.

1. Run gpedit.msc (via Start menu, Run..)
  2. Select the following: Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options
  3. Enable the option 'Devices: Restrict CD-Rom access to locally logged-on user only.'

You should now reboot your PC. Restricted users can now rip/burn CDs.

Unfortunately, I work for a legal firm. Giving users access to burn information to CD and take out of here is not an option. If we can't come up with something else, we will be returning the software and purchasing something else.

Unfortunately, I work for a legal firm. Giving users access to burn information to CD and take out of here is not an option. If we can't come up with something else, we will be returning the software and purchasing something else.

Buying something else isn't going to help you. CDA files are not "true" audio files. They are like placeholders for CD audio tracks. What needs to be done is you use a program to extract the CDA files to their true format. If you look at the cda files you'll see that, what, they're only like a kilobyte or so. That should tell you they are not an openable file. Has nothing to do with administrator rights or anything else.

DG

Well, the program needs you to be administrator also. It looks like we are going to have to be really creative with this. Any suggestions?

Let me see if I can get this straight. In the law office I worked in, we had a server running Novell, and about ten user workstations. I was the network administrator and cannot remember a time when I had a problem loading any programs because of being a non-admin on any of the workstations. The program should be used on an individual machine that needs to be able to extract audio CD tracks. The only thing I can figure out in your case is that your network administrator has made it where exe programs cannot be installed on individual workstations, which is stupid considering different employees will need different programs at different times. I assume this is to keep the employees busy and not playing, but you're going to have to talk to your network administrator and tell him or her what's going on and ask why there is such restricted access on your workstations. What's the deal, is Express Scribe loaded on the server? Is that even possible? If not, and it's loaded on individual workstations, can the transcriptionists load other files and use it just fine, like wma, mp3s, etc.? This just honestly makes no sense to me except as extra security that's nonsense because it's things like this that happen.

This is not an Express Scribe problem, you need to contact your network administrator about their silly security issues. There are a lot better ways to handle noncompliant employees than the way they're doing it.

DG

I have been talking to our network administrator. He is asking me to find out what process from Express Scribe are needed to do this, so we can tweak this. We have our reasons for setting up our network like this. Giving global admin rights to our users is a very high security risk.

So, my question is, which particular process does Express Scribe use?

I have been talking to our network administrator. He is asking me to find out what process from Express Scribe are needed to do this, so we can tweak this. We have our reasons for setting up our network like this. Giving global admin rights to our users is a very high security risk.

So, my question is, which particular process does Express Scribe use?

I'm not sure what in the world you're talking about here. Are you asking what's needed in order to install ES on every workstation individually as I suggested? Well, that's easy, download it and install it to every workstation. It still won't help you play CDA files. If your network administrator doesn't know how to stop the network from blocking installation of programs long enough to install ES on every workstation, then he or she doesn't need to be your network administrator. It's not giving anyone global admin rights. It's setting a time when maybe everyone is out of the office, taking off the block from installing exe programs on the workstations, installing ES on all the computers, and re-blocking the computers from installing programs. I don't understand how your network administrator would not understand how to do this.

DG