The VPJ File

Hahbz

02-19-24

Have downloaded the free version 13.81 of videopad to a mac with monterey os version 12.1. am trying to do something very simple, adding titles with text that synchronize to audio. Figured out how to do that successfully along with transitions. Save project creates a vpj file. I exit the software, reopen it, then open the vpj file. No problem. I shut down the computer, start it again, open the software, bring the vpj file to the timeline, and the audio is missing. Only the text titles are recovered. I've opened the vpj file by "opening recent" on the "file" menu, I've double clicked on the file, and I've dragged  and dropped it onto the timeline. Same result: no audio track on the timeline!

The VPJ tells the program what to do.  It's never added to the timeline.  Before loading the project, go to OPTIONS | DISK tab and Clear Unused Cache Files.

Launching a VPJ will open the project in Videopad.  Alternatively, with VP already open, click FILE | OPEN PROJECT.  Find the VPJ, and click it.

image.png 

Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the caret to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

If the issue persists, come back here.

Emptying the cache did not resolve the issue. The destination folder for Save As is the same as the destination folder in Settings/Media. I made sure that these two were the same. The file was saved. It reopened. It reopened again & again, titles & audio. The computer was restarted, and the file still reopened, both its parts. The computer was restarted a number of times. Each time the file opened fully. This was yesterday. Today VP cannot find the file. clicking on Resolve takes me to where the file is located, which is the folder it was saved to yesterday. but the filename is dim, and neither the right nor left click on it does anything. I go to the folder directly. The file name is not dim, but double clicking on it only loads the text titles, no audio. Dragging & dropping: the same. Clicking on it in OpenFile, and the cannot-locate box appears. Resolve does nothing. Finish brings the TitleTexts to the Timeline, but no audio.

Don't have a Mac here, but Windows procedures should be very similar.

Save AS opens the file manager where you can choose the folder where the VPJ control file is to be saved.    After choosing a folder, Videopad remembers the last save location and this will be the default Save AS choice the next time you save.  You can change it.  What's seen under MEDIA settings refers to something else, not the VPJ.

When the VPJ loads it will restore the entire project as it was on the timeline when saved.  A VPJ is never added to the media bin or timeline.

OPEN FILE  Screenshot 2024-02-21 111759.png is used to load a VPJ project.  ADD FILES is for adding video, audio, etc. to the bin, for editing.

The caret to the right of the OPEN icon  Screenshot 2024-02-21 112028.png will present a list of recently opened projects.

If you do manage to load the project, even if there is no audio, please share it for analysis.  Someone here will help solve the problem.  Follow these exact steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  Right-click the file and click SHARE. When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.