Olympus DS-4000 - Tested?

Guest Frank Mantrod

Guest Frank Mantrod

I've been asked by a few people to help them transcribe audio recorded on Olympus DS-4000 units. These are DSS files.

My question is has anyone tested the Express Scribe with audio recorded on the DS-4000, does it work good? Will I have any 'failures' where ES won't open or can't read DSS files from these units or does it work good with them?

Guest Don Gatten
I've been asked by a few people to help them transcribe audio recorded on Olympus DS-4000 units. These are DSS files.

My question is has anyone tested the Express Scribe with audio recorded on the DS-4000, does it work good? Will I have any 'failures' where ES won't open or can't read DSS files from these units or does it work good with them?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lincoln stoller

I've got a new Olympus DS-2 and I find that the DSS files that it produces cannot be loaded into Express Scribe. I have to convert them to mp3 and then they'll be recognized. But I'm still having trouble with the audio because play-back degrades to become inaudible after 7 minutes of playback. This seems to be an Express Scribe memory problem because it goes away when I quit and relaunch the software.

• 1 month later...

I am using a DS4000 and Express Scribe/Dictate (and I know a number of others who are doing the same) and have had no problems with loading/docking files - as long you have the dss32.exe component installed from the nch.com.au/components page

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Richard

I have an olympus DS 2200 and the ditation module that comes with it converts the files to wmf. which work with express scribe.

• 3 years later...

I support a medical clinic that has numerous doctors using the DS-4000 Dictation module. 4.10.3 is the current version. Their module download the voice file into a .DSS file, encrypts it per HIPPA requirements, and emails the file to the office mail server.

The transcriptionist uses her DS-4000 Transcription module to make a POP3 mail connection to the office server and download the .DSS file. Her DS-4000 Dictation module has the encryption key I entered at installation time. It decrypts the .DSS file and loads it into the DSS player.

Q: how does an Express Scribe user handle the decryption?

I know nothing of the ES product, other than a new transcriptionist owns it. She says she can handle other Olympus file formats, but I don't know about the encryption part.

Thanks in advance...

I support a medical clinic that has numerous doctors using the DS-4000 Dictation module. 4.10.3 is the current version. Their module download the voice file into a .DSS file, encrypts it per HIPPA requirements, and emails the file to the office mail server.

The transcriptionist uses her DS-4000 Transcription module to make a POP3 mail connection to the office server and download the .DSS file. Her DS-4000 Dictation module has the encryption key I entered at installation time. It decrypts the .DSS file and loads it into the DSS player.

Q: how does an Express Scribe user handle the decryption?

Express Scribe only decrypts DCT files that have been encrypted by Express Dictate. ie.:

[Dictate] Load, encrypt & send as DCT ---> [scribe] Receive, decrypt, transcribe

If the dictation has been encrypted using a third-party application then the sequence would be:

[3rd-party app] Decrypt ---> [Dictate] Load, encrypt & send as DCT ---> [scribe] Receive, decrypt, transcribe

(assuming the typist doesn't have access to the 3rd-party decryption software but you still want a secure transmission from the dictator to the typist).